Shimano Tiagra STI RH shifter not working after cable snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I found dismantling this one (ST-4400 Tiagra) a one way street.
View attachment 574059

See, what you should have done, is stopped at the E ring.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Was it because you lost track of where things went or because you would need special tools to reassemble it?
I lost the will and childhood Meccano urge led me on; to oblivion. I had another ready to fit in case. The rubber hood and faceplate have been pressed into service with another used pair I bought.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
LBS assessment - new shifters at £250, new chain ring (2-piece crank, so £100), new chain, new cassette, new bottom bracket, new wheels. They did offer to sell me a £1600 bike, which was nice.

Sourced a pair of shifters for £150, will replace the gubbed one and ride the rest of the bike like I have been for the last year and a bit. Don't know if I've just got low standards but it all seemed to be working fine to me, I'd even been cleaning the drivetrain during the winter.

Gunk

Guru
LBS assessment - new shifters at £250, new chain ring (2-piece crank, so £100), new chain, new cassette, new bottom bracket, new wheels. They did offer to sell me a £1600 bike, which was nice.

I’ve been at a LBS picking up some bits and heard a similar assessment of a customers bike, when it looked in pretty good condition.

it does make you wonder what they do with all these perfectly serviceable parts that they remove from customers bikes?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Assuming the LBS is not just shooting the wind, I'd measure the chain to check its elongation (how many miles have you ridden with it), and anyway get on and procure a new cassette and a new chain, so that it's there ready when needed.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I've got a spare chain and cassette ready to go, I'm on my second chain so will ride them until they start slipping; but I've never had to replace a chainring so I'm dubious about that. Will see what it looks like when I get it home.

vickster

Legendary Member
Could you not just get one shifter for around £100? Eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-...-STI-Lever-Brand-New-RRP-113-00-/402657895973

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru

I did have a look at eBay but with the scarcity of some of these parts I decided just to go with an online shop and know it's been dispatched already, rather than risk an unknown eBay seller.

And now I have a spare left hand shifter that I can take apart to see how to put the broken right-hand shifter back together after I've taken that one apart. :becool:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Okay so £150 for new shifters, £50 for a front brake, some cables I had in a cupboard, regrease rear wheel bearings and a good clean for everything and I've saved myself £1600 - what a deal. Was worried about taking the hub apart but actually everything went together fine, and the cone and locking nut was surprisingly easy to adjust properly.

As a coda, I was going to attack the old shifter with a sledgehammer to get it apart, and then tried to spot the e-ring to prise it out but no joy. Then I saw a screw on the bottom of the casing and thought it can't be that simple, but undoing the screw allowed the half of the casing to come off, showing the ratchet mechanism and a wee stowaway:

Once I'd got the first part of the film Tremors out of my head, worrying whether there was a much bigger gear cable under my shed that was going to eat my whole bike, I tested the shifter and it seems fine. So I'm glad I replaced it as insurance but now still have two working spare shifters.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP replaced the STI and then opened the 'hatch' of the old one "Then I saw a screw on the bottom of the casing and thought it can't be that simple, but undoing the screw allowed the half of the casing to come off, showing the ratchet mechanism and a wee stowaway."
@Zohair - have you tried this to hoik out the broken cable end?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom