Shimano V SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
What do most pro riders use, out of interest?

I.e. in the TdF are you likely to see more Shimano or SRAM, or is it an even split? Campag also make stuff too right?

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What do most pro riders use, out of interest?

I.e. in the TdF are you likely to see more Shimano or SRAM, or is it an even split? Campag also make stuff too right?
Oh my word. Your a cyclist and you don't know that ^_^

Its a good question.

I have one bike with SRAM Rival and one with 105. Prefer the Rival to be honest, brakes are easier to grab. Likely due to the point @vickster made about the shape of them (she made me realise this a month or so ago)!

Shifting the 105 may be quicker to a bigger cog but there's not much in it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mainly used Shimano until recently. Both kids bikes are SRAM and my new MTB is SRAM X9. I was very impressed with the lower end SRAM - it's good bits of kit.

Not huge differences, both work well.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks for the input guys, it has been helpful. I will have to go and find some bikes with SRAM at the weekend. I would not have thought of looking at the hoods.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How times have changed, ten years back the debates on Campag v Shimano used to be regular and fierce. SRAM was just a fledgling player on the fringes. It shows how much Campagnolo have disappeared from the mainstream, few pro Tour teams use it now. Shame, as it would still be my groupset of choice.

mattobrien

Guru
I have got two road bikes with shimano, one is 5700 105 and the other is on 685 hydraulic shifters with dura ace 9000 mechs. I have also got another bike on SRAM red (20 as opposed to 22). I personally prefer the sram set up and like to positive / clunky nature of SRAM.

I've got a new bike on order with SRAM etap hydraulic and as soon as the groupset is actually available, then I'll have a bike and will be able to tell you what it is like.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How times have changed, ten years back the debates on Campag v Shimano used to be regular and fierce. SRAM was just a fledgling player on the fringes. It shows how much Campagnolo have disappeared from the mainstream, few pro Tour teams use it now. Shame, as it would still be my groupset of choice.

It would be mine for a top end road bike, but it's crazy expensive. The SRAM stuff is very light. Even the lower end.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I currently run bikes with Shimano Sora & Tiagra (older style with side exit cable) and SRAM Apex & Rival (10 & 11 speed). I've found the Shimano is quieter when changing gear - there is a definite click with SRAM when changing gear at the rear and a loud clunk from the front mech when changing from large to small chainrings, but the SRAM would be my pick every time as the double tap just works for me.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
When I was researching my components for my 'best' bike some years ago, SRAM were new in the road bike market and I enquired of a well-respected member of CC (a top mechanic with much experience and a good guy) about the differences. His response was along the lines of:
"In their shifters, Campag have about 23 moving parts**; Shimano have about 35; SRAM have about 16. That makes a big difference to possibility/ease of servicing and is worth considering. I like the SRAM stuff."

I got SRAM Rival, which was the bottom end then and loved it from the first. I've ridden Shimano a few times and never settled with the brake/ shifter thing. Double-tap always seemed more logical/easier to me. :scratch:

On the EdFoC Night Ride t'other year, we had someone whose Shimano 105 cable broke at the brifter. Not something the travelling mechanic would attempt to fix out on the road, so the lucky rider got to do the remaining 70km on a 2-speed bike ! He made it, though ...

**all numbers are for comparison only - they are not intended to be accurate, as I haven't counted them all ...

Top Bottom