Shimano V SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've used SRAM Apex and Force and Shimano 105, Mechanical Ultegra and Di2 Ultegra.
No main preference for the mechanical groupsets. I marginally prefer the shifting mechanism of the SRAM's. Yes there is more of a clunk when shifting but I prefer that positive feedback. Also I prefer having the "change" lever separate to the brake lever as occasionally you do slightly apply the brakes on Shimano when changing (this could be setup on my part though). Would this stop my buying a bike with Shimano on it though? Nope!!

Are there any problems switching between different types? Well I never found any. At one point I had SRAM on my CX/commuter and Shimano on my Road bike and never had any change issues.

One other thing to watch out for is that manufacturers tend to mix in different front deraileurs with SRAM stuff (e.g. a Microshift front mech) to bring bikes in on a certain price budget.

Since Di2 was introduced I've moved to Shimano on my bikes - but I've not tried the electronic SRAM yet!! Sounds like an excuse for a new bike!!! :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I use SRAM Apex, and have used (but not owned) Shimano 105. I can't remember a fat lot difference with the Shimano when I transferred over to it, apart from getting used to the action.

I have seriously considered going for SRAM e-TAP gears. I just like the concept so much. But they are too expensive to justify the whim. Maybe my next big birthday.

david k

Hi
Got shimano ultegra and sram apex on different bikes obviously, I like them both, for me they just change your gears, I don't really get too hung up on all the small differences, when I got my latest bike I actually wanted different gear set up, just fancied different types on different bikes

Edit, saying that I think I prefer sram apex

Shimano at equivelant level is smoother when you change whereas Sram is a more positive almost a clunk rather than a seamless move. I quite like that in Sram. The transition between the different levers isn't a problem when you are used to riding both.

I agree with all this. At first the SRAM felt and sounded 'budget' in my mind compared to my 105, but now I like them both and find the 'clunk' of the SRAM change positive, kind of sporty-feeling. I think someone else compared it to changing gear in a Porsche vs a Mercedes. I've never driven either but I think I know what they meant.

My front cable went on my SRAM-equipped CX last week and I needed it fixing the same day so took it to a bike shop I'd not used before. When I picked it up the guy said it was a nightmare to change and that SRAM need to learn from Shimano and Campag when it comes to routing their cables. I didn't have time to enquire further into what he meant but it might be something to bear in mind if you plan to change your own cables.
Of course, it might just be that he's not a very good mechanic...

Top Bottom