Ship closes cycletrack!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

Maybe it's a sailors plot

snorri

Legendary Member
I believe there has already been a letter from a CTC rep., but it would do no harm for you to contact the roads authority, if they hear nothing they will assume everyone is happy.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Makes a change from dogs and pedestrians getting in the way.
I would get up a petition or something quickly and start on the council highways department.Any expenses they incur possibly re routing the track temporarilly or whatever should be reclaimable from the Ships insurers.Cycling on the A55 in rush hour isnt something I would fancy much.

I actually worked on a ship (not that one) doing the same cargo from there. Horrible place to go to. Always breaking mooring ropes, had to be in, load the limestone and out again over the high tide.

I would get up a petition or something quickly and start on the council highways department.Any expenses they incur possibly re routing the track temporarilly or whatever should be reclaimable from the Ships insurers.Cycling on the A55 in rush hour isnt something I would fancy much.

I don' think you can there anyway, definitely not through the tunnels and like you say, even if you could it's one road I wouldn't use.

OP
OP
Dewi

Dewi

Veteran
Cycle track now closed a couple of miles from the ship. The only reason being they are running machines and wagons up and down the track from the ship to the builders yard they have set up. I've no complaints about closing the track for emergency works but why have they decided break it up on the beach rather than get a tug and barge and tow it away? The cycle track surface could be hammered by the time they've finished

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...stricken-ship-off-north-wales-55578-30721434/

OP
OP
Dewi

Dewi

Veteran
I actually worked on a ship (not that one) doing the same cargo from there. Horrible place to go to. Always breaking mooring ropes, had to be in, load the limestone and out again over the high tide.
By all accounts the ship didn't have a chance, storm came in whilst they were loading, they had to leave on the same tide (as you say) but the north wind just blew them onto the rocks as they tried to get away. At least they were all rescued, a ship loaded from the same jetty went down with all hands last year :sad:

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Am I right in thinking though thats its quite an easy work around. Couldn't you just come inland, on the othe side of the A55

Didn't know about one there last year.
An exposed jetty sticking out of the north coast of wales is never going to be a happy place to be on any ship, and on a lee shore.....:eek:
It is the best way of moving 1600 tonnes of crushed rock around the country though. The ship I was on took it up the Thames for use in construction projects.

OP
OP
Dewi

Dewi

Veteran
They're now estimating 10 weeks to break up the ship! There is a diversion but a 300ft climb and a couple of miles of dual carriageway (the 'old coast road' not the A55) - not the same as 30+ traffic free miles along the coast previously used by hundreds every day :sad:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Not happy about this, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-17645827
I hope I am wrong but it looks like a section of the NCN5 cycle track along the North Wales coast will be closed for 6 weeks! The only diversion is via 300ft climb and dual carriageway, this is a very busy cycle track and it seems cyclists haven't been considered.
OMG! I know that exact place and the exact diversion route. (From the petrol station at Llandulas to Colwyn Bay).It is going to cause some real problems. Not all cyclists are capable of cycling up the dual carraige way which doesnt have a cycle lane or cycle path on it.

I might just head down there tomorrow and give my opinions on the poorly thought of diversion route (saying that, there isnt really any other route to take).

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That section of the A55 is blocked for cyclists anyway.

OP
OP
Dewi

Dewi

Veteran
OMG! I know that exact place and the exact diversion route. (From the petrol station at Llandulas to Colwyn Bay).It is going to cause some real problems. Not all cyclists are capable of cycling up the dual carraige way which doesnt have a cycle lane or cycle path on it.

I might just head down there tomorrow and give my opinions on the poorly thought of diversion route (saying that, there isnt really any other route to take).
It's a good old work out climbing the hill and the dual carriageway section will put off many of the regular users.

Don't expect there will be any diversion sign for cyclists...

Top Bottom