Shoe care question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chet Spiker

I bought a pair of Giro Riddance shoes about a year ago and have been very pleased with them. They are comfortable and have good grip but there's a slightly embarrassing problem; they pong a bit! Nothing horrible but a kind of earthy farmyard fragrance that pervades the utility room where they live in their original box. No it's not me - I don't have this problem with any other shoes, I put clean socks on before any ride and if they get wet they go in an old pillowcase in the airing cupboard overnight. I can't seem to wash it out either - after a long, slightly muddy ride last week I removed the laces and insoles and gave them a thorough dousing in a bucket of warm soapy water (Fairy Liquid) then let them dry slowly in the garage (which is very dry). The pong is weaker but still there. I even tried a special shoe freshener spray but not much improvement was noticed. Any tips gratefully received.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Just put the insoles in the washing machine at 30 degrees, then stick on top of a warm radiator to dry.

OP
OP
Chet Spiker

Chet Spiker

Thanks I'll try both of those tonight. The insoles on their own are odourless - it's the uppers that smell, especially the padded part at the back of the heel. Have bought some odour-eaters, too!

Globalti

Legendary Member
The problem is the grey cardboard insole that's stuck inside the shoe. It stays damp for long enough to provide a perfect breeding-ground for bacteria, which break it down and make that catty amine odour. The answer is always to remove the insoles after a ride and leave them just sticking out to air that base.

Top Bottom