Shop Assistants in Cycle Shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I was looking at, and thinking of buying, a Defy L in All Terrain Cycles.

Me - Can I sit on it?
Git - Yes. I'll get a medium.
Me - Can I try the L?

Git - I think the medium is the right size for you. (Moves for the medium)
Me - I'l try the large first thanks.
Git - How tall are you, what's your inside leg?
Me - Take the large out please.
Git removes large as if it was a complicated, time consuming and unnecessary task and I sit on it.
Git - Put your hands on the hoods.
I am already instinctively reaching down for the brakes as I have small hands.
Git - No, t.h.e.s.e. are hoods.
:cursing:

That sounds a great reason to use up lots of their time and then order the bike in off a local independent.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was looking at, and thinking of buying, a Defy L in All Terrain Cycles.

Me - Can I sit on it?
Git - Yes. I'll get a medium.
Me - Can I try the L?

Git - I think the medium is the right size for you. (Moves for the medium)
Me - I'l try the large first thanks.
Git - How tall are you, what's your inside leg?
Me - Take the large out please.
Git removes large as if it was a complicated, time consuming and unnecessary task and I sit on it.
Git - Put your hands on the hoods.
I am already instinctively reaching down for the brakes as I have small hands.
Git - No, t.h.e.s.e. are hoods.
:cursing:
I am assuming that you didn't buy one from them. What a rude sounding, horrible shop assistant.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I'll never shop in the Evan's store in Gateshead again, worst shop staff I've ever encountered, I'll order online from Evan's as their online service is damn good .. If I need to buy in shop, I go to Edinburgh Co-op cycles in Newcastle, the staff in there are really helpful :thumbsup:

I'll have to try the new CycleSurgery shop that has opened in Gateshead sometime soon :whistle:

fabregas485

There is a bike shop near me but they also have a website. On the website it mentions that they have a small cycle group who go out for regular rides, and anyone can join it. However, when I walked into the shop and asked, the first thing the guy said was 'Bike shop employees only'. He then asked if I needed any other help, but I just told him I think 'I will go to halfords instead'.

Yes, that's right, I would rather shop at Halfords than somewhere with such poor people skills.

stuee147

On the other hand i have had to deal with the Great British Public from the other side of the counter, and to be honest some people should not be allowed out, and it should be made legal to slap some of them.
i have to agree i to have been both sides of the counter and some folk treat you like your there personal slave and are just down right rude iv always had to opinion that i will treat everyone politely and with respect unless they dont show me the same level of politeness and respect in which case i will tell them where to go politely of course :angel:
or at least as politely as the scum deserve lol

BSRU

A Human Being
I took my, less than one year old, steel tourer into an LBS to have the rear hanger straightened after a chain failure caused it to be bent out of shape.
The sales assistant stated that he didn't think the mechanics worked on old bikes.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not LBS service but a story about big chain customer service.

I was ready to spend a fair whack on a new bike. I'm not bothered about brands and such like so had narrowed it down to something from Decathlon and something from Halfords as they were best value for money.

Went to Decathlon, as soon as I expressed interest in one of their upper-spec bikes, the brought over their tech expert and he went through every detail about the bike and answered my questions about gear ratios, sizing etc etc. Couldn't fault the level of technical expertise and no hard sell at all.

Then I went to Halfords. Started looking at one of their upper-spec bikes and employee came over. I expressed interest in the bike and started to ask questions. "Is this Shimano or Campagnolo?"......."err.....let me take a look at the spec sheet....err, it's Shimano". "What is the spec of the rear cassette?" "errr.....it's 34 tooth"...."I think you are referring to the front, not the cassette"....."oh yes, you're right....haha, my mistake". "What is the size of this model?" "err....not sure, let me check the spec....err, it's a 55". "OK, I need a 53, is this available?" "err.....I don't know, I'll have to ring up head office"

At that point I thanked him for his help and walked out. If I am going to drop a chunk of cash on a technical product like a bike, I at least expect the person selling it to me to know more about it than I do

Profpointy

Legendary Member
there was a guy in my local tesco who couldn't work that out ... "Sorry I've already rung in £X" was his excuse. I've tried explaining the simple arithmetic required to cope with the extra 10p, 5p, or finding a £5 pound note instead of the £20 note I've just handed over... but he claimed the till wouldn't balance... after that i just started winding him up by always offering the small change a little bit too late, "I've rung it in now." was the best his tiny mind could come up with.
Yes, I am slightly evil. :evil:

Well ok, it is a bit of a giggle, but it is a tad mean - bear in mind the till boy is probably not the sharpest tool in the box, and perhaps even a bit backward (i've certainly seen such in shops - which is "a good thing" for "slow" people to get employed at all - and isn't in any way to demean normally-witted shop staff earning an honest living either)

KneesUp

Guru
Well ok, it is a bit of a giggle, but it is a tad mean - bear in mind the till boy is probably not the sharpest tool in the box, and perhaps even a bit backward (i've certainly seen such in shops - which is "a good thing" for "slow" people to get employed at all - and isn't in any way to demean normally-witted shop staff earning an honest living either)

It works the other way around to. For example a customer may have items that add up to £11.90 and, paying with £20 will then give you an extra £1, sp instead of giving them £8.10 change you give then £8.10 and their pound back. All most awkward.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Nothing suggested he had learning difficulties of any sort... just a difficulty to think logically about simple arithmetic, or simply couldn't be bothered to think.

at my local job centre last month... the bloke signing me on had "Matched a couple of jobs to me" Great!

first was an Apprenticeship... I'm middle aged, and had to tell him that apprenticeships are for 17-18 year olds... it seemed like news to him.

the second was part time, in another town... so i started making my excuses as i'd be spending more on travel than I'd get paid
he said "Company Confidential are really good to work for"
I stammered, "Er... Company Confidential isn't an employer, it means the employers name is being kept confidential... Why I'm telling you this stuff when you work here I've no idea... Shall we swap places?"

Last edited:
I was going to buy a bike for the misses a few years ago and went to a reasonably good bike shop in Oslo.

I wanted to see if the dikhead assisstant was up to scratch, but he failed at the very first hurdle:

Me: I'm looking for a bike for the missus.
Him: How about this?
and pointed to a £1,400 bike without knowing anything about her needs or requirements.
Me: You are joking, right!
Him: What, too expensive for you, is it?

I gave him the look whilst shaking my head and said, 'Don't worry, we won't be back.' And we haven't.

KneesUp

Guru
I was going to buy a bike for the misses a few years ago and went to a reasonably good bike shop in Oslo.

I wanted to see if the dikhead assisstant was up to scratch, but he failed at the very first hurdle:

Me: I'm looking for a bike for the missus.
Him: How about this?
and pointed to a £1,400 bike without knowing anything about her needs or requirements.
Me: You are joking, right!
Him: What, too expensive for you, is it?

I gave him the look whilst shaking my head and said, 'Don't worry, we won't be back.' And we haven't.

Was the bike he pointed to "a lovely colour"?

Top Bottom