Shop Assistants in Cycle Shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nathan AV

I've found a new local (to my place of work) bike shop that I will be using in future. I went in with a wheel with a broken spoke (I heard Paul Curran was a particularly good wheel builder) but it turned out that he didn't stock the spokes I needed. This was only after he checked all the other wheels in stock and even phoned his wife to see if he had any in his personal stock. I left the store feeling happy even though I never got what I originally went in for but as soon as I do need anything I will be going back.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Evans replaced my leaky Suntour SR forks with some Rockshox XC32 after I complained repeatedly. I think they got fed up of me TBH. So they're not all bad! ^_^

ShipHill

I bought something the other week for £9.10, so instead of getting a pocket of change i handed £10.10 over to the assistant, to which she gave me back the 10p as "it confused her when people do that" so i did end up with 90p change instead of a pound coin.

A mate of mine did that in a small corner shop once and the person behind the counter thought that we were trying to pull some kind of scam.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Evans near the MetroCentre in Gateshead has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread.

I've been in a few times - spending a few quid on most of those visits - and each time I've left feeling like I've been a nuisance to them.

Product knowledge was OK, but the attitude was very poor, not just once, but on numerous occasions.

I'm not into bold 'never return' statements, but I think the shop may have hacked me off once too often for me to go back.

On a more positive note, I generally enjoy my visits to Halfords branches nearby.

Product knowledge not always up to the moderate standard set by Evans, but the Halfords staff are nearly always pleasant and genuinely seem to want to help.

KneesUp

Guru
I think if I were looking to open a bike shop that was to operate on-line and have a shop, I'd be looking for property in the Newcastle area.

Nozzer

I live just a long the road from Striking Bikes and have never been in I used the Bike shop in Eastgate Street but after the last service I got and the way they treated a friend I won't be using them again .

I am also a customer of Paul's at Striking bikes. He has always been exceptional at repairing my bikes and have therefore bought a bike for my wife. Customer service is king and he has that in abundance. In this day and age of internet prices, it's hard to match and even stock what the big boys stock, but you just can't beat service. I would recommend anyone in Gloucester area to pay him a visit especially for bike repairs.
Ian

gavgav

Guru
Won't embarrass the company concerned, but when I bought my new bike I was given incorrect information from the sales chap, about the bike spec and @Rickshaw Phil was with me luckily and pointed it out to him and me what the correct information was!

Cold

Took your advice @Donger & @Nozzer and went to Striking Bikes to get my wheel fixed, what a nice bloke he is spent about 45 minutes talking to him and only stopped because someone else came into the shop.
And Donger he mentioned this thread and you :smile:

Grendel

Veteran
I just think some of you are missing the bigger picture here. It's not cycle shops, per se. In my experience most big shop chains (whatever they sell) employ spotty teenagers with little or no product knowledge and poor inter-personal skills. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Take sports shops as an example. Just try going into any of the big chains of highstreet so-called "sports" shops and asking for:
(a) a badminton net
(b) high grip rubber for table tennis bats
(c) an ice hockey stick
(d) a rugby scrum cap and
(e) a look at their whole range of cycling shirts.
It is odds on that they won't have any of the above - definitely not more than 2 of them.
Unless you want jogging bottoms, hoodies or replica top 4 Premier Leage (or England) football shirts, they will look at you slack-jawed like you just asked for a left-handed snooker cue. I was so unimpressed last time I went in a "sports" shop, I apologised for mistaking them for a sports shop ... I hadn't realised I was in an "urban chavwear outlet" by mistake.
Support your proper local expert shops, whatever they sell, or these idiot chains will completely take over the high streets of every town in Britain.

My local Halfords is so utterly awful I have christened it Halfwits, because that is who they employ.
I've had so many horror stories from them i'd be here all day:
My Halfords saga...

Here's my complaint to Halfords and their response:

Dear Sir,
I am employed by Network Rail, and recently arranged to buy a bike through the Cycle to Work scheme, which Network Rail operate in co-operation with your company. Throughout this process I have been given the impression that some of your staff are completely incompetent, and are responsible for some appalling customer service.

The Cycle to Work scheme section of the company website says that if you do not stock a particular brand of bike you may be able to source it. I was looking for a folding bike, as I travel by train a lot, and I found that
the Dahon Jack bike would be ideal for my needs. I contacted my local
Halfords to see if they could get it, and was told no, they could not, and
that I had to phone the Cycle to Work scheme helpline, and that they would order it. I called the helpline, and was told that they did not order it, and that the local store must do this. They did give me a price of £440,
and confirmed that, yes, Halfords could supply this bike. I was told to
order sufficient vouchers, and take them to the store and place my order.

I then ordered Cycle to Work vouchers to the value of £450. On 8th August 2009 I took these to my local store and I was told again that I must order through the helpline. I insisted otherwise, and after checking, the staff found that they were wrong, and I was correct. I then placed the order and was told that the bike would be delivered in seven to ten days. In the above, and most of the following I dealt with a chap called EMPLOYEE X, who I found to be utterly incompetent and unreliable.

About a week later I dropped in to the shop to see how the order was
progressing. I was told by EMPLOYEE X that there was nothing showing as arrived in the system, and that he would call Dahon and confirm a delivery date, and call me later that day to keep me informed. At the same time I ordered a new rear mech for my sons bike, and he took the order for this as well.

Over the course of the next few weeks the following pattern was repeated. I would call the shop, and would be given various stories about the delay, initially that he had been unable to contact the supplier, this then changed to a story that the bike was being shipped from the far east and may take up to six weeks. Of my spare part there was no sign, and EMPLOYEE X failed to return any calls.
Eventually after five weeks I had had enough and spoke to EMPLOYEE Y, the assistant manager in the store, who has been very helpful. After apparently himself being given the runaround by EMPLOYEE X, he looked in to the situation and found that my order had never been placed with the supplier. He contacted Fisher, the importer, who said that they were no longer importing that model of bike and that they could no longer supply the bike. They had one in stock, a small frame, which was unsuitable. As I was using the cycle to work scheme I could not top up the vouchers with cash, and was therefore limited to a budget of £450. EMPLOYEE Y found a replacement bike, which is currently on order. I have taken it only because I am stuck with £450 which I cannot return, nor take to another retailer.

EMPLOYEE X never returned any calls about my replacement part, and eventually I went to a local sports shop who had the right part on the shelf and purchased it from them. I was unable to fit the part, due to a damaged thread on the frame, and took it to Bikehut where I was told it would be seen to next day. On phoning back a few days later it was my misfortune to again have to deal with EMPLOYEE X, who again regaled me with a story of why a repair hadn't been carried out, which bore no relation to why I had put the bike in in the first place. He told me that the disc brakes on the bike were defective, and would need replaced (as they were beyond repair), at a total cost of £70. As this was a boys bike I decided against ordering these parts, as I could buy a new bike for a little more. On collecting the bike I had a look at the brakes, and repaired them myself in around twenty minutes.
I am absolutely furious that I was told that these parts were defective, when they were clearly not, and I could have wasted £70, or more on a new bike, for no reason other than your staff being unable to do what appears to be a basic job.

Similarly, a damaged wheel which I took in for repair on Friday 11th
September and was promised would be repaired that night, or at the latest Monday, was still unrepaired on Wednesday of the following week. I was given a free replacement wheel, although your staff were unable to manage to fit a quick release mechanism to it, which the original one had.

On 25th September I called Fisher, the Dahon importer, and asked if it was
correct that they were no longer importing Dahon bikes. I was told that
this is the case, and that their last Dahon Jack in a medium frame was sold ten days previously. He confirmed to me that had my order been placed on 8th August that they DID have stock of the bike I ordered and it would have been dispatched with 24 HOURS, not SIX WEEKS! As you can now guess, I am bloody angry about this whole farce. I have been mucked about from day one as far as I can see. I have now had to accept a lower specification bike to what I ordered, I was left with a pile of gift vouchers I did not need as balance, and I am supposed to just accept this! It was two months to the day (8th October) that I took delivery of my bike, which is simply unnaceptable.

I am alerting you to the above, and await your response with great
anticipation.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr Grendel

Halfords reply:

Dear Mr Grendel,

Thank you for your email.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response.

I am sorry to read of the poor service you received from our XXXXXX store.
It is always disheartening to hear of situations where our customers
experience additional inconvenience and feel let down. I wish to assure you that Halfords endeavours to maintain a good relationship and will always seek to use customer responses as a way of improving our customer service.

All concerns relating to our stores are logged onto a central database and
the information regarding your experience is made available for the Area
Managers to read. As our Store Managers are 100% responsible for the
service in their stores, we also make the information available for them to
view on our stores intranet system. This method is proven to be very
successful in highlighting any shortfalls to the line managers responsible.
They are then able to take any action they feel necessary with the
individuals concerned.

I would like to assure you that it is never our intention to cause distress
or inconvenience to any of our customers and although mistakes do happen, we recognise that it is how they are dealt with which is important. Your complaint has been logged against the store concerned and I am confident that your local Store Manager can resolve any outstanding issues.

We do ask that if you wish to discuss your concern or specific requirements in detail that you contact your local store manager directly in the first instance. Unfortunately our stores do not have e-mail facility but can be contacted on xxxx xxxxxx.

I appreciate you taking the time to highlight this problem and I hope it
hasn't deterred you from shopping with us again. It is only through
feedback from our customers that we are able to identify areas where we are falling short of our customers’ expectations and can redress them.

Please accept my sincere apologies once again.

Kind Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXXXXX

Customer Service Advisor

13/10/2009 09:13 <customer.services@halfords.co.uk>
cc

Subject
Complaint- Bikehut-

On a more positive note can I just say that if you are in the Glasgow area and need repairs or servicing, Carl at User28255 is outstanding. Excellent quality, reliable and reasonable priced. Great service and great value for money.

Sara_H

Guru
All of the bike shops I've frequented in Sheffield have been mostly excellent.
The only problem I had was at Halfords once, when they wouldn't let me test ride a bike I was interested in, so I went home with the money still in my purse, another time the local bike mechanic took my OH's bike hostage, we just couldn't get it back, so we've obviously never used his service again.

paddy01

Not really intended as a slur, but if the person on the till makes an error and you point it out having added everything up using mental arithmetic, you get a look which would suggest you've just arrived from another planet..

My LBS (although not geographically closest always gets my business) suits me down to the ground, I can pop in for a tube or something and be in and out lickety split with minimal interaction or if it's a bigger transaction they all know their subject inside out as every one of them is a cyclist of some sort or other. They lead weekly MTB and road rides, often with groups for different abilities and are often found donating their services supporting charity bike events such as the Nello ride.

They endeared themselves to me no end when on a bank holiday Monday of all days, they managed to get a bike sent over from their sister store on the other side of Devon for my wife to try in the time it took to have lunch. There were plenty of others in stock that would have fitted fine but they we adamant that they had the perfect fit at the other store. And this was a relatively entry level MTB as well (around £600 I think) not several grands worth.

That sort of service does pay off though, when I popped in one day a few months later on my lunch break and accidentally bought a Madone :laugh:

Oh, probably should have said, it's Bike Shed in Exeter.

Archeress

Veteran
Not really intended as a slur, but if the person on the till makes an error and you point it out having added everything up using mental arithmetic, you get a look which would suggest you've just arrived from another planet..

My LBS (although not geographically closest always gets my business) suits me down to the ground, I can pop in for a tube or something and be in and out lickety split with minimal interaction or if it's a bigger transaction they all know their subject inside out as every one of them is a cyclist of some sort or other. They lead weekly MTB and road rides, often with groups for different abilities and are often found donating their services supporting charity bike events such as the Nello ride.

They endeared themselves to me no end when on a bank holiday Monday of all days, they managed to get a bike sent over from their sister store on the other side of Devon for my wife to try in the time it took to have lunch. There were plenty of others in stock that would have fitted fine but they we adamant that they had the perfect fit at the other store. And this was a relatively entry level MTB as well (around £600 I think) not several grands worth.

That sort of service does pay off though, when I popped in one day a few months later on my lunch break and accidentally bought a Madone :laugh:

Oh, probably should have said, it's Bike Shed in Exeter.
I know their stores. Used both the Crediton and the Exeter ones. They're really great.

Hugs
Archeress x

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
A mate of mine did that in a small corner shop once and the person behind the counter thought that we were trying to pull some kind of scam.

There is a change-related scam I came across a few times while at my 10 year temporary job at McDonald's. From what I remember, it goes like this:

Scrote pays for something small during a busy period with a twenty. They quickly say 'I've got the right money here, can I have my twenty back?', hoping the harassed youngster doesn't spot they've already given the scrote his change. I'm not stupid, but it's striking how easy it is to be thrown off course by someone inadvertently breaking your rhythm.

Rouge79

i work in retail and you'd be amazed how easy it is to pull the change scam off even with seasoned staff

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have used the same lbs for the past 3 years , I have fell out with a few of the staff, but the key staff , we chat for hours, the owners know me , I always do my research into products,I deal direct with the mechanic,I get the best service ,part time staff I try to avoid,and deal with staff that ride.....simples

Top Bottom