Shop Assistants in Cycle Shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
A big recommendation for the lovely guys in Specialized in Harrogate. I know it's a chain and the big disadvantage is (obviously) that they only sell Spesh stuff but they are keen, knowledgable and enthusiastic. They don't talk down to you, know their products and don't pressurise you to buy stuff. I love going in there!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Shop assistants are there to take your money at the till and to take you to the product if you can't find it. They aren't paid enough to know everything about bikes or any other product that's in the shop. If you want advice about buying a bike for example ask online,don't expect someone on 6 quid an hour to read up about these things.

classic33

Leg End Member
Shop assistants are there to take your money at the till and to take you to the product if you can't find it. They aren't paid enough to know everything about bikes or any other product that's in the shop. If you want advice about buying a bike for example ask online,don't expect someone on 6 quid an hour to read up about these things.
Maybe, but having some idea about the items they are "trying to take your money" for is always helpful.
Whatever the shop sells!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I guess I'm quite lucky as nearly all the shops local to me seem to have people that know a lot about bikes . Even my local Halfords :eek:
Maybe its they just know a lot more about bikes than me though :laugh:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Welling Cycles is an old fashioned shop. Bikes all over the place waiting to be repaired. Old glass fronted cabinet full of derailleurs, pedals etc. Pete now owns and runs it but his dad, Roger, who used to have it before him still helps out. I can't go in just to buy something as a visit can take up to an hour just chatting to Roger. Whenever I take a bike in to have work done on it, I always get a b******ing from Roger for it not being clean (some people may not be surprised by this) and an apology from Pete for the b******ing his dad just gave me.

Over the years that he's been my LBS, you can tell the difference in cycling. When I first started taking the Giant in for services, Pete remarked that I was willing to spend more on a service than 99% of his customers would spend on a full bike. Now if I take Lelly in there she looks positively cheap among the Cervelos and S-Works stuff waiting for services.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Jack Parker's in Burscough is a great shop, has that classic bike shop feel, I always feel fine leaving my bike there as I know they'll look after it and do a good job.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shop assistants are there to take your money at the till and to take you to the product if you can't find it. They aren't paid enough to know everything about bikes or any other product that's in the shop.
Sorry but this is nonsense. Just because you think they aren't paid enough does that mean they can't learn? They should be trained so that they have the knowledge which can translate into better service for the customer. The skills they gain can also be used to secure a better paid job in the store or elsewhere.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seriously, what is wrong with them?! Seems that almost every cycle shop I go into has complete nobbers working behind the tills. Yesterday I went into Evans for a browse and thought I'd treat myself to a new helmet. At the till the guy said "so you've suddenly decided to protect your head have you?" I mean really, wtf is that all about? Customer service skills of a gnat. Wish I'd told him to shove the helmet up his @rse but I was taken off guard.

Mrs Gti is still fuming at the treatment she received in Evans in Deansgate, Manchester when three assistants ignored her for several minutes. They seemed to have zero customer skills.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Sorry but this is nonsense. Just because you think they aren't paid enough does that mean they can't learn? They should be trained so that they have the knowledge which can translate into better service for the customer. The skills they gain can also be used to secure a better paid job in the store or elsewhere.

Quite right.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Yes but only if the shop owners are willing to train them or pay for their training. To expect someone on 6 quid an hour to teach themselves is unfair.

Top Bottom