Shop Assistants in Cycle Shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I try to be nice to shop and restaurant workers, because let's be honest, they're doing a dull job for a pittance. On the days I'm feeling unsociable then I just avoid eye contact and try to shop without any hassle. And shops are one of the few places where I won't tell people to "do one" because they are in an awful job having to deal with awful customers, no point in me adding to it.
I quite like my job as everyday can be different and if you aren't busy you can chat to interesting people in the past I've talked to a Vintage Bugatti owner (Type 35..... lovely) loads of MGB owners..... (Me: "M reg? must be one of the last of the chrome bumpers then"....) and strangely enough.... cyclists..... but I couldn't work in MacDonald's or a busy chain food pub.... not because of the banality of it but because of the stress of the of the speed of service required.... Car parts are far more relaxing.....

And when I return something I normally get my preferred outcome because.....

A. I know my rights (inside out)
B. I am polite to the person sorting it and normally start off with "I know it's not your fault and you didn't personally make this product.... but let me explain my problem (all said with with a polite smile)

Cold

Bike shops have come in for a bit of a slagging here so, in defence of my LBS, I feel compelled to take the other side in this discussion. It seems to me that it is mostly the big chain stores (Halfords, Evans etc) that are coming in for a caning, not the small local operators. I use a local shop called "Striking Bikes" in Bristol Road, Gloucester, who does not deserve to be tarred with the same brush, and I have nothing but praise for Paul, the proprietor.

The first time I met him, I was walking along the side of a very quiet rural lane, miles from home and pushing a bike with a broken chain, feeling very sorry for myself. A van went past a junction behind me, and I heard it stop, reverse, and then go out of its way to come and help me. Pulling up in front of me, he leapt out cheerily, asked if I needed help, spotted the trouble, and had a chain splitter and new link out of his tool box in seconds. Not only did he immediately repair my chain at the roadside, but he handed me a babywipe to clean my hands and sped off refusing any payment for the assistance.

A year or so later, I identified the bike I wanted to buy on the internet, and went into Striking Bikes to check out anything else they might have. I ended up buying that same model from Paul, at the same price as the Internet, with a whole bunch of extras thrown in free and the bike fully set up correctly for me. He has since done a full wheel re-build for me (as he had done on my previous bike) and has proved himself to be a genius at that dying skill. His prices are always very reasonable.

Whilst I do often use internet sites to buy bike stuff, I now always make a point of having my bike serviced every year at Striking Bikes, and always buy some small item or other when I am there. The guy lives, eats and breathes cycIing, and he is always willing to give advice or swap anecdotes, based on years of racing and bike factory experience. Every year he donates his time to provide free roadside service at the BHF Cotswold Bike Ride. I believe it is important to keep people like Paul in business, serving the cycling community in the way they deserve. If anyone is looking to buy a Ridgeback or a Bianchi, Striking Bikes has a nice looking collection of them, and you'll have the best customer service possible.

I live just a long the road from Striking Bikes and have never been in I used the Bike shop in Eastgate Street but after the last service I got and the way they treated a friend I won't be using them again .

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I live just a long the road from Striking Bikes and have never been in I used the Bike shop in Eastgate Street but after the last service I got and the way they treated a friend I won't be using them again .
A few people drive past without ever going in, which is a shame. I think customer parking has always been his biggest problem. I know he was looking at moving into the same building as Kwik-Fit just down the road to get a more prominent position and easier parking. Give him a try, and tell him some big guy called Andy sent you.

You want better shop staff now? And all along I thought you all wanted low prices. Make up your ****ing minds.

I get......

"They're only £X off ebay.....

To which I reply.....
"Are they? well sorry I don't price match ebay as..... These are right in front of you, available today right now..... they are top quality X brand (we don't stock plain box S***) and should they be wrong, which they won't be by the way........ I'm here to sort out the problem.......Now is it cash or card today? (because if they have asked for them in my shop they want them and the ebay line is just to get discount.......)

And people who expect me to sort out their problem because they got the wrong ones sent off ebay shouldn't expect discount either, they will get a smile from me though albeit a wry one.......

Cold

A few people drive past without ever going in, which is a shame. I think customer parking has always been his biggest problem. I know he was looking at moving into the same building as Kwik-Fit just down the road to get a more prominent position and easier parking. Give him a try, and tell him some big guy called Andy sent you.

I will do.

fabregas485

I wish I lived nearer. Sounds like a wonderful place to shop.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
maybe he was trying to be humourous, or just trying to engage a customer in conversation, by the sound of things he was not successful in either.... something we shouldn't forget is that there are many many more gobshite customers than sales assistants and I find the best way to get really good service is to be a good customer,
Of course the flipside of that is that one way to ensure first-time customers return is to be a good salesperson.

fabregas485

You want better shop staff now? And all along I thought you all wanted low prices. Make up your ****ing minds.
If I went into a shop with cheap prices, I would not expect great service. Its when you go to places where parts are more expensive and you are paying for the customer service that customers should be treated fairly.

That being said, smaller shops where trade is slower than the larger shops, should try have as good a customer service as possible as it may be the only thing that could bring customers back.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I went into Evans in Reading today, I wanted some new gloves and a couple of crud catchers. The store was quite busy, so I just sorted myself out made my choices amd went to pay. No one was at the two tills. Me and another customer waited to be serves, no one acknowledged us, I waited for about five minutes, still no service, left the stuff on the counter and walked out.

I noticed on the window on the way out they are looking for staff. I might apply for the job.
Most likely if you did end up working there, you'd be doing most of the work.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I might start shopping in cycle cafes, the one I was in today (Siempre?) was super welcoming and had amazing service, with a smile.

I went into Evans in Reading today, I wanted some new gloves and a couple of crud catchers. The store was quite busy, so I just sorted myself out made my choices amd went to pay. No one was at the two tills. Me and another customer waited to be serves, no one acknowledged us, I waited for about five minutes, still no service, left the stuff on the counter and walked out.

I noticed on the window on the way out they are looking for staff. I might apply for the job.
This happened to me in PC World....queue at the counter.... no staff on...... Manager walked up put out a tannoy call for till staff.... then walked off..... at which point so did I (without the item of course)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lots of folk in the big chains are just sales assistants. They aren't cycling nerds.

We fell lucky when I bought my wife a new £500 hybrid and a tag along for my daughter from Evans Chill Factore.

We got the mechanic, only realised when he was struggling with the tills. Spot on sales service, but struggled with the tills.

Phoned them a few months ago asking about a drive belt for a Tacx roller. Said part, guy goes, yup we have one. Drive 10 miles and the guy goes, I'll go and get it (I thought its only a belt why does he need to find it). 5 mins later turns up with a turbo trainer. WTF. Explained what I had asked for politely, and then walked out.

Top Bottom