Should a cyclist be allowed on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Don't overcomplicate things to try to make it sound clever.

Some people like to eat pizza. It's up to them. Maybe being healthy isn't an issue. Yet you'd remove their right to drive because you think differently, and now you're trying to legitimise a good-natured nannying.

You're confusing incentive with control. Based on your narrow-minded, faux intellectual thinking.

Paul, I am clever. Sorry if it sounds like over complicating to you.

If you care to review the thread, all I have ever said is that it's a matter of opinion what are appropriate criteria for driving. You could have left ths pages ago if you didn't want to insist on applying absolute rules to a purely social construct.

"Right to drive"? :tongue:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
So, did anyone establish when a bike is legally a road vehicle and when it isn't?
when is a car legally a road vehicle?
as far as i'm aware there are no rules regarding bicycles legally being a road worthy

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So, did anyone establish when a bike is legally a road vehicle and when it isn't?

Sorry MP, couldn't resist.

In answer, any vehicle on the road is a road vehicle (by definition)...what has the law got to do with it?...its a road vehicle, simple as.

Also, as it's on the highway it should abide by the code of the highway...aptly called the "Highway Code" (who would have thought).

Definition of vehicle

ve·hi·cle

   /ˈvi
thinsp.png
ɪ
thinsp.png
kəl
or, sometimes, ˈvi
thinsp.png
hɪ-
/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[vee-i-kuh
thinsp.png
l or, sometimes, vee-hi-] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
–noun 1. any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport: a motor vehicle; space vehicles.

Attachments

• thinsp.png
    thinsp.png
    96 bytes · Views: 23
  • thinsp.png
    thinsp.png
    96 bytes · Views: 19
  • thinsp.png
    thinsp.png
    96 bytes · Views: 19
  • dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif
    dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif
    236 bytes · Views: 22
When we were kids, like 9 years old. Our school put on a Cycling Proficiency test, and we had to learn how to ride on the road. Once we passed that, then we had the priveldge of being allowed to cycle to school. Which was great as it was so much quicker than walking! :whistle:

As a car driver as well, I'm all too aware of the huge differences between a cyclist on the road and a huge car, and obviously have a good concept of rules of the road. But you see some cyclists out there riding in paralell, riding in the middle of lanes, through red lights and generally having absolutely no care for the highway code. Whether this is down to naiveity or lazyness I dont know. But I definately think local councils should run cycling proficiency schemes for people of all ages for those who wish to travel by bike but have had no formal highway code training. Because you do need to know it.

In some countries, people as young as 14 can just jump on a moped with absolutely no training about the rules of the road. Just apply for a license and go for it. Whether you have an engine to power you, or just your legs. If youre riding on the road, you should know how it works for your own safety.

adscrim

Veteran
gaz said:
when is a car legally a road vehicle?
as far as i'm aware there are no rules regarding bicycles legally being a road worthy

The highway code includes this:-

You MUST
  • ensure your brakes are efficient
  • at night, use lit front and rear lights and have a red rear reflector
along with the following recommendations

Make sure that you feel confident of your ability to ride safely on the road. Be sure that
  • you choose the right size and type of cycle for comfort and safety
  • lights and reflectors are kept clean and in good working order
  • tyres are in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre
  • gears are working correctly
  • the chain is properly adjusted and oiled
  • the saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct height
It is recommended that you fit a bell to your cycle.

adscrim

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
How are those two points "different"?

One is the inability to drive due to a restriction place by an external party the other is the inability to drive due to the state of their health - as I understand it, although I neither agree nor disagree with anything said, ever.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm interested in the definitions, as I suspect that the legal aspects become cloudy when you dig into the detail on bicycles.

For example, those crossings with a green man and a green bike. A bike on the road has to obey red lights. A bike on one of these crossings doesn't. If the crossing leads to a pavement which isn't shared use, where does it say what you should do then? Can you use them to stop traffic in order to get onto the road?

The HC is based on law (relevant law cited at the end of each point). When arethe 'musts' specific to road vehicles/motor vehicles?

What does a bike become when it's on a cycle path/track?

I'm not expecting specific answers. I'm just interested in the developing ambiguity around cycles, which is understandable really as a bicycle is a unique form of transport which can't be kept in one box.

Ok, I see

So I guess (Partly) the answer is that a cycle remains a vehicle (by definition) whether it is on the road, a path or some other means. But when does it have to obide by the laws of the road (or when can it be called up for not) ?...I guess only when it is ON the road

As far as the crossings are concerned..interesting. Surely you have to obey the red light as your intention is to continue ON the road (not get off the road and utilise the green cycle light)...so you are a "road" vehicle at this point and as such obey road laws. soon as you get off the road you obey the law of that "surface" or environment. Like bridle paths or wooded tracks ...they have their own "Laws"... or at least accepted protocols. (shutting gates, fire traps etc)

Besides the green bike lights (Toucans) allows you to cross the road not the junction that the traffic lights control (if indeed there is one in your example)

This all seems pretty clear to me, so what specific issues are you having

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Got to stop guessing, Jonny.

There is no doubt a bicycle is a vehicle - they are defined as carriages. Cars and other motor vehicles are not, and are only on the road by license as a result.

snorri

Legendary Member
brokenbetty said:
. I'm telling people they aren't allowed to drive a car until they are healthy.
Would there be exemptions for unhealthy people driving to their local health centre or hospital to consult their medics?
Also exemptions for driving to their local gym or sports club where they will be striving to improve their health?:ohmy:

Top Bottom