Should a teacher commute by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm a Supply teacher and am currently working in a school that I could cycle to. My other half says that the only teachers that should cycle to work are young, fit PE teachers. anyone else is fair game to the Pee being taken.
What does anyone else think. I'm 53 and the not the most slender but trying to lose the pounds and stay fit. I'm trying to do the miles after work.

OP
OP
guitarpete247

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
But should I ride into work and run the risk of "Get of and milk it" or whatever the modern equivalent is? Or get the Pee taken throughout the day? If you say i should are you a teacher of similar age and not a fit PE teacher;)?

OP
OP
guitarpete247

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I arrive, driving, early (1/2 hour before start of school) and there are plenty of kids hanging about. My other problem would be that the last mile is a long (I know a mile is long) grind up to school past many of pupils walking or even riding their hundred yards into school.

I'm trying to come up with as many excuses for not riding in as I can aren't I?:smile::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To right you should ride...........!!!

The guy that was my PE teacher 20 odd years ago still cycles to the same school..... I still ask my nephews etc...as they are there ....he still rides.... oh yes..........

Do it............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dondare

Über Member
When I was at school the best and most respected teacher I've ever known cycled to work. Did we extract the Micky?
You bet we did.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are you confident that you could get off at school and give any sneerer a 100% confident 'yes? And your point is?' in such a way as to make them feel shabby? If not, I'd think twice. Seriously. I've never been a teacher, but I remember enough to know that 'face' is all important, and if lost, very hard to regain.

Which isn't to say I agree with your other half. I think you should cycle. Just not till you feel 100% positive about it. Maybe do a few decent distance weekend runs...lose some of that ballast...get into a state where you can take that last mile at a pace that makes the kids think 'bloody hell - respect!'

I think you are a perfect role model to a generation that seems to rely on cars pete.

I think you should cycle...When I was at school in the 70's I remember a teacher called Mr Hutchinson and he used to cycle all the time.I used to think he was a bit eccentric but I liked him and he must have been about 60.Still remember him to this day.I did actually seem him once about ten years ago or more and he was still cycling.

NigC

hackbike 666 said:
I think you are a perfect role model to a generation that seems to rely on cars pete.

I think you should cycle...When I was at school in the 70's I remember a teacher called Mr Hutchinson and he used to cycle all the time.I used to think he was a bit eccentric but I liked him and he must have been about 60.Still remember him to this day.I did actually seem him once about ten years ago or more and he was still cycling.

Excellent point - showing that you can still cycle even after you've left school and got your drivers licence :smile:

I think as a teacher, you must gain the respect of the kids. I went to a fairly tame school compared to some, but there was the odd teacher who wasn't able to command that respect and I'm sure their teaching career suffered because of it (or at the very least, their morale).

I don't think it matters how you get to school: walk, run, cycle, car, bus train, lift from mum - if you can't command the respect, it's going to be a very bumpy ride as a teacher. So Make your choice based on how you feel about the idea of cycling, not on how you think the kids will react :angry:

One other point mentioned somewhere else: do you have to carry text books or similar home? Because I doubt you'll be wanting to carry that much weight by bike anyway.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not the same thing by any means but the first time I turned up in a hi-vis cycling jacket at school I felt really embarrassed as if everyone was looking at me (my kids didn't help in that respect - equally feeling that I was showing them up). That was years ago .. after wearing it self consciously a few times I realised that even if they did look that they soon got used to it.

If you want to cycle it - do so - with confidence rather than embarrassment - its much harder for them to needle you then.

Debian

I work at a few schools, not as a teacher but as IT manager and support tech. As such I probably have as much, if not more interaction with the pupils than any teacher. I cycle to work replete with hi-viz, lycra, flashing lights, white shoes and bulging panniers.

No one bats an eyelid, or anyways I don't notice if they do.

Just do it. :smile:

gavintc

Guru
guitarpete247 said:
I'm a Supply teacher and am currently working in a school that I could cycle to. My other half says that the only teachers that should cycle to work are young, fit PE teachers. anyone else is fair game to the Pee being taken.
What does anyone else think. I'm 53 and the not the most slender but trying to lose the pounds and stay fit. I'm trying to do the miles after work.

I think you 'want' the answer to be; NO, just carry on driving, you are too fat, old and the kids will tease. It is completely up to you, do what you feel happy with. But, just watch that waist line increase steadily over the next few years.

From my perspective, there are thousands of excuses. But lots of good reasons to start cycle commuting.

tmcd35

Pretty much the same as Debian, I'm an IT Manager and cycle to school very reguarly in hi-viz, et al. As others have said I time my arrival so it's a good half hour before almost anyone else arrives. Gives me time to lock my self in the loos and sort my self out.

Bandini

guitarpete247 said:

Of course! Can't you get to school earlier? Do you have showers you can use? If so, set off early, get in and have a shower and changed, and none of them will know. You could also do a bit of marking or planning at the bell, and set off when they (or most of them) have gone home?

Of you can't do the above, who cares if they take the pee? Make a joke back?

If you do care, just don't wear any tight lycra (!) and if you do wear a helmet, try to get the one that makes you look less like a tit than the others. Or, if you do wear one, maybe hang it on your rack before school? Not meaning to start a big helmet (oooer!) debate here (although, personally, I am not convinced by the pro-lobby), but if we're honest it is the helmet that is going to make them laugh isn't it? Or tight cycling clothes?

Top Bottom