Should bike shops include a free helmet with every bike they sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
By not selling a complete bike the company gets round the reflector, bell and other "point of sale" requirements
Which means if they have sold you a 'bike' they should under the trades description act - supply you with a complete bike even if a bit of it comes in a bag - unless, of course, they specified the omission beforehand.

Which means if they have sold you a 'bike' they should under the trades description act - supply you with a complete bike even if a bit of it comes in a bag - unless, of course, they specified the omission beforehand.

Which they do....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
See 'Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations' Chris Juden 2012
"Since the 2010 revision, the expression “bicycle” now includes a substantially complete vehicle (whether or not assembled) even if one or more parts are omitted. This closed the loophole by which retailers used to dodge this regulation by not including pedals."

See 'Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations' Chris Juden 2012
"Since the 2010 revision, the expression “bicycle” now includes a substantially complete vehicle (whether or not assembled) even if one or more parts are omitted. This closed the loophole by which retailers used to dodge this regulation by not including pedals."
I stand corrected...... but then again it is many years since I bought a bike / trek I keep that was not completely specified by me

youngoldbloke

I stand corrected...... but then again it is many years since I bought a bike / trek I keep that was not completely specified by me
Yes, the last 2 bikes I've bought (online) have come without reflectors, bells, pedals, or pieplates, thank goodness, though they weren't specified as being for competition use (the other loophole). (Actually they did come with pedals - the ones I'd specified, in separate packages)*. It was reported a couple of years ago that the requirement for a bell to be fitted at point of sale was going to be abandoned, as part of a package of simplifying legislation, but I haven't heard that this was implemented.
* edit: - at extra cost

StuartG

slower but further
Likewise my last audax (June 2010) bike came without these unwanted 'extras' from a rather well known store in Central London.
If the rozzers got awkward couldn't the shop add these as a mandatory extra for, say, a fiver and then buy them back for the same price to be bagged up for the next customer. Revolving bells and whistle-like?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Which is a solid argument for increasing helmet use to other groups.

Pedestrian helmets would save more than 5 times as many people from this position than cycle helmets

Surely if we have a pedestrian and a cyclist in adjacent beds with similar injuries from head trauma it is hypocritical to suggest that one should have "prevented" the injury, but the other is acceptable?
I was just reading in my local rag about a couple of peds who were hit by a car...

A man was taken ill at the wheel of his car in Lancaster city centre.

His car mounted the pavement on Penny Street just before noon on Monday, hitting a man and a woman.

The pair were treated at the scene by paramedics, the man for a suspected head injury and the woman for a suspected broken ankle, before both were taken to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary along with the motorist.

that's as good an argument as any for pedestrian helmets... anything could happen.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I spent £1000 on a bike from Giant. No pedals, reflectors or bell included. In fairness, they did offer me some plastic pedals to get me home. No helmet either!

Alex McCarthy

I may not be a super experienced cyclist by a long chalk, but I would consider myself able and at times can be fairly fast! But even still, at the tender age of 22, my dad reminds me to wear my helmet every time I go out, not that I would go out without it!
Therefore, the helmet being a package deal with the bike IMO is a very good idea and would have both mine and my dad's vote I'm sure!
It doesn't make me feel invincible at all, but it reminds me that if there is a selfish car driving idiot that thinks he/she owns the road, that I have done my bit to protect myself against their foolishness!

youngoldbloke

The only way this could possibly work would be if you were offered a huge discount on a helmet, from a wide range, which most bike shops don't stock anyway. Much like saddles, helmet fit is a very personal matter, and even if you wanted a helmet, it would be extremely unlikely that any bike shop could or would stock a range to fit all. Result - lots of cyclists with badly fitting helmets, and/or lots of helmets binned. It is just a non starter. If you want a helmet, buy one that fits, shop around and buy your own. (I do wear one - a Spiuk, because it fits, and it took me a long time to find that - how many bike shops stock them?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom