Should bike shops include a free helmet with every bike they sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do wear a helmet (well a lot of the time), and I think it is a stupid idea. If I want to wear a helmet I don't want one produced to be cheap since it is being offered free, the cheapest ones usually don't have an adjustment wheel at the back. Secondly heads are different shaped so one helmet does not fit all heads. I also would want a helmet that was Snell tested, rather than the lower standard. And I don't see the point filling landfill sites with unwanted helmets.

And lastly we haven't actually got proof that they actually work, certainly they don't do what half the population think they do!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
To answer the OP: No. It would be the first step in a long, slippery slope to a mandatory helmet law, and believe me you don't want that, because it will have a detrimental effect on cycling in general :stop:.

MattyKo

I shall add a comment to this thread however, I apologise for not reading beyond the thread tag line.

It should be consider an integral part of the bicycle to include a helmet. I was unfortunately a cyclist in a road traffic collision, and cannot guarantee the fact, but believe that the wearing of a helmet could of been as much a hindrance as an aid (the seat belt issue concerning motor vehicles). But helmets really are an important part of a cycle in accident in which the rider does not anticipate the event unfolding. Just as much as a drunk person falling over or any person for that fact, hitting their head on the ground is quite likely to sustain a significant brain injury. An acquired brain injury can have a major negative effect upon an individuals character. An example of this is obviously James Cracknell. You just need to visit the neurological unit at the local hospital to witness how an acquired brain injury total disables the individual, and protecting the brain and the head from sustaining such an injury can only be helpful.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I shall add a comment to this thread however, I apologise for not reading beyond the thread tag line.

It should be consider an integral part of the bicycle to include a helmet. I was unfortunately a cyclist in a road traffic collision, and cannot guarantee the fact, but believe that the wearing of a helmet could of been as much a hindrance as an aid (the seat belt issue concerning motor vehicles). But helmets really are an important part of a cycle in accident in which the rider does not anticipate the event unfolding. Just as much as a drunk person falling over or any person for that fact, hitting their head on the ground is quite likely to sustain a significant brain injury. An acquired brain injury can have a major negative effect upon an individuals character. An example of this is obviously James Cracknell. You just need to visit the neurological unit at the local hospital to witness how an acquired brain injury total disables the individual, and protecting the brain and the head from sustaining such an injury can only be helpful.

OK, this is going over the same tired old arguments. But - both Australia and Ontario have introduced helmet laws, which have increased wearing rates from low % to nearly everyone but no improvement in killed / seriously injured - so either they help very little that it doesn't make a difference, OR they must make things worse in other circumstances. At the very least they make your head much bigger so you're more likely to hit it.

But - it's obvious innit = so evidence doesn't count

Dan B

Disengaged member
I will reply to your comment. I apologise for not reading beyond the first line

I've had a 75 quid special so I'm talking from experience. No snobbery here, just that if all bikes were sold with lights fitted there's no excuse. Only needs to be the cheapest of cheap ones not some smart ones costing 20 quid.

But these lights would hardly be adequate really been a waste of time

Worst case scenario is a bit like the POB that believes that way a hiviz jacket is all that is needed then apply the same theory to these adequate lights

MattyKo

I will reply to your comment. I apologise for not reading beyond the first line
I shall comment upon the subject should helmets be included in the purchase price of a bicycle. I shall respond to this remark, however, I apologise should I duplicate earlier comments, because I am intentionally omitting to read the entire four pages of contributions already made concerning the issue.
I trust you now appreciate the interpretation I intended ? ! Thank you

MattyKo

OK, this is going over the same tired old arguments. But - both Australia and Ontario have introduced helmet laws, which have increased wearing rates from low % to nearly everyone but no improvement in killed / seriously injured - so either they help very little that it doesn't make a difference, OR they must make things worse in other circumstances. At the very least they make your head much bigger so you're more likely to hit it.

But - it's obvious innit = so evidence doesn't count

From personal experience and witnessing cyclists around and about, I do think that you enter into a state of preparedness, apprehension with the donning of a helmet. You immediately acknowledge the possible dangers that you may encounter. And from personal experience I believe I am a more assertive road user whilst cycling with a helmet, and sit more proud on the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom