Should bike shops include a free helmet with every bike they sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I am intentionally omitting to read the entire four pages of contributions already made concerning the issue.
If you can't be bothered to read the thread, why should you expect anyone else to bother to read your posts? Feel free to explain why your opinion is so much more important than everyone else's

snorri

Legendary Member
And from personal experience I believe I am a more assertive road user whilst cycling with a helmet, .
:rolleyes:

From personal experience and witnessing cyclists around and about, I do think that you enter into a state of preparedness, apprehension with the donning of a helmet. You immediately acknowledge the possible dangers that you may encounter. And from personal experience I believe I am a more assertive road user whilst cycling with a helmet, and sit more proud on the road.
Well I agree with you.

MattyKo

Bones get broken and try to heal
An Acquired Brain Injury from Head trauma can effect the individual and their family in a long term and severe way.
Unfortunately, such injuries only has one effect upon the individual, and it is not positive. Yes over time the individual and their families adapt and live with the condition that is a result of these "mere" collisions, but the initial impact on the persons' character can be traumatic in itself.

From personal experience and witnessing cyclists around and about, I do think that you enter into a state of preparedness, apprehension with the donning of a helmet. You immediately acknowledge the possible dangers that you may encounter. And from personal experience I believe I am a more assertive road user whilst cycling with a helmet, and sit more proud on the road.

The theory of "risk compensation" and that cyclists with helmets feel more confident and hence take more risks is controversial.

However it is interesting that you unequivocally state that (anecdotally) wearing a helmet makes considerable changes to your riding style.... which would in part support a "risk compensation" argument against their use.

Bones get broken and try to heal
An Acquired Brain Injury from Head trauma can effect the individual and their family in a long term and severe way.
Unfortunately, such injuries only has one effect upon the individual, and it is not positive. Yes over time the individual and their families adapt and live with the condition that is a result of these "mere" collisions, but the initial impact on the persons' character can be traumatic in itself.

Which is a solid argument for increasing helmet use to other groups.

Pedestrian helmets would save more than 5 times as many people from this position than cycle helmets

Surely if we have a pedestrian and a cyclist in adjacent beds with similar injuries from head trauma it is hypocritical to suggest that one should have "prevented" the injury, but the other is acceptable?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Which is a solid argument for increasing helmet use to other groups.

Pedestrian helmets would save more than 5 times as many people from this position than cycle helmets

Surely if we have a pedestrian and a cyclist in adjacent beds with similar injuries from head trauma it is hypocritical to suggest that one should have "prevented" the injury, but the other is acceptable?

Actually, given it would appear that cycle helmets wouldn't save anyone - based on Australia & Ontario compulsion experience, would 5 times zero also be zero?
(... I still like the argument though)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No, but they should include a pair of pedals on the bike. Just sayin :smile:
I use Look cleats, others use SPDs, others SPD/SL, others speedplay, others clips and straps, others none. I want to be able to specify the pedals I want. How would this work? Going to be even more unwanted, unused, cheap plastic, flat pedals lying around. Waste of resources. To get further off post, I would rather bikes be sold without saddles as well, as we all have our personal favourites, and the useless ones supplied end up cluttering up the shed, or in the bin (as would many helmets if supplied with a bike ........... )

ShipHill

I'll elaborate my point further.

I bought a brand new Boardman last year and it didn't have any pedals on it.

To ride it home I had to buy some. I caught the bus down to the store after confirming availability of the bike I wanted on the phone and telling them I'll be riding it 15 miles home.

They should say something like "we'll stick basic Joe Resin pedals on FOC old chap, but if you want those fancy clippy things or anything non basic it'll cost ya an extra few quid"

Instead it was
Me - Errr there's errr no like pedals on this 'ere bike mate.
Guy in shop - No there aren't. They don't come with pedals.
Me - Enough pish talk bud. Stick some on. I've got a 15 mile ride ahead of me and need some pedals. I actually like the basic Joe Resin pedals anyway. They'll do.
Guy in shop - Sorry Sir but this model doesn't come with pedals.

* large tracts of conversation edited out*

Guy in shop - That will be an extra £5.99 please you idiot - I mean Sir.
Me - Thanks.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
They should say something like "we'll stick basic Joe Resin pedals on FOC old chap, but if you want those fancy clippy things or anything non basic it'll cost ya an extra few quid"

Spot on. They're selling pedal cycles, without those it's just a Laufmaschine.

GC

There is a reason for this....

By not selling a complete bike the company gets round the reflector, bell and other "point of sale" requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom