Should bike shops include a free helmet with every bike they sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No helmet but the bike should fully comply with the law. So should have all reflectors, bell and LIGHTS needed.
6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c-pi.jpg

No helmet but the bike should fully comply with the law. So should have all reflectors, bell and LIGHTS needed.

Bells are only required at point of sale, and are NOT a legal requirement the moment the bike crosses the threshold
Equally lights are not a legal requirement unless the bike is used at night.

So no lights, no helmet and no bell......

I remember sitting in a bike shop and this guy had bought a rather nice racer (carbon, lightweight and VERY pretty). He was collecting it with friends and going off on a run to break it in.

Asked the mechanic to remove the bell and reflectors.

Mechanic explained that he could not......

After much ribbing by friends he left with the bell and reflectors intact!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Lights are not a legal requirement, bells have to be supplied but not fitted IIRC.
Clipless pedals can't have reflectors fitted.
But don't let reality stand in the way of anything...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I understand that, I just read and understood your comment as lights not being a legal requirement end of.
Sorry , I was not thinking along the same train of thought :sad:
:thumbsup:

Colin B

No because helmet wearing is a personal choice and would end up with landfills full of unused cycle helmets . I don't think shops forcing the issue so to speak would change the views of ppl you either wear one or you don't and being free wouldn't change that just my opinion though

Chris Norton

I do agree that that not everyone rides at night and therefore lights are not legally required in daytime but a couple of quid lights to encourage the use of would not go amiss. My comments are mainly aimed at the lower end of the biking world such as the £75 sports direct specials.

Chris Norton

I've had a 75 quid special so I'm talking from experience. No snobbery here, just that if all bikes were sold with lights fitted there's no excuse. Only needs to be the cheapest of cheap ones not some smart ones costing 20 quid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom