Should/can the bike rock when on the trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Hopefully a quick one - I currently have an Elite Direto Smart Trainer for Zwifting. Not overly rigorous training, more to get miles in when the weather is poor.

I'm usually sat in the saddle for most of it, but do get out of the saddle to give the bum a break or for a sprint or top of a climb etc.

Question is - should the bike be able to rock a fair amount? Or should I treat it like a static gym bike here and not try and move it? I don't currently try to move it, for fear of damaging the trainer or bike, but I've seen the odd video online where it appears that it might be ok.

FWIW the bike is a carbon Trek Madone 3.1 (2014).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will move a little, it's not an issue. Bikes get way more abuse on the road.

CXRAndy

Guru
You might want to consider a rocker board like this Home made :okay:
20181229_163146.jpg

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
If you're a DIY enthusiast, you can put together what Andy posted. But as long as the bike is secured in the locking mechanism, all should be good.
Do rocker boards undo some pedalling efficiency? Or is the energy transferred into it, no different than the energy going into the concrete?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do rocker boards undo some pedalling efficiency? Or is the energy transferred into it, no different than the energy going into the concrete?
Side to side ones seem to not reduce output, but those with fore and aft movement can for a lot of riders (not all) reduce efficiency.

CXRAndy

Guru
Shouldn't do. What you're trying to achieve is a replication of outdoor riding style. The side to side rocking motion goes a very long way to achieving that.

I now would not be without a rocker for indoor riding.:okay:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Hopefully a quick one - I currently have an Elite Direto Smart Trainer for Zwifting. Not overly rigorous training, more to get miles in when the weather is poor.

I'm usually sat in the saddle for most of it, but do get out of the saddle to give the bum a break or for a sprint or top of a climb etc.

Question is - should the bike be able to rock a fair amount? Or should I treat it like a static gym bike here and not try and move it? I don't currently try to move it, for fear of damaging the trainer or bike, but I've seen the odd video online where it appears that it might be ok.

FWIW the bike is a carbon Trek Madone 3.1 (2014).

There is a small amount of left/right play on my Direto. It's probably more accurately described as 'flex' rather than rocking though.
Now I have an aluminium framed bike in it I am happy to stand up now and then. When I was using it with a carbon frame I was reluctant to do that as the manufacturer had not rated the 2018 Roubaix frame for use on turbo trainers (although newer ones are).

There has been talk of some carbon frames not being well suited to static trainers, so it's wise to check what your manufacturer says about your specific model.

Top Bottom