should have known better…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
…got into a commuter race today :biggrin:

caught up with a chap on a road bike at the lights. baggy shorts (brave chap), but otherwise a roadie (nice specialized bike, better than my 531 commuter, oh and no rucksack). we exchanged pleasantries, and i clipped in quicker so bid him good day as i went off ahead. i thought i had gotten away from him as i went up a short rise and through some traffic lights. ahead was a girl in hi-viz, at which point the other chap breezes past. i should have let it go, but i just had to overtake again, and pass the girl first. thus ensuring that i was coughing my guts up when i got to work, as i've had a cold all week.

i might have won, but was it really worth it?

Yes.Always.

Maz

Guru
commuter races are great fun...you get to exercise parts of the lungs you didnt know even existed!

Wolf04

alecstilleyedye said:
(nice specialized bike, better than my 531 commuter, oh and no rucksack).
Love the qualification, I always use a rucksack....so thats why they all pass me and I thought it was being a fat middle aged bloke on a bike:biggrin:;)

janm399

Veteran
Other fast commuters are killers on my recovery days. Just this morning, I was trying my best to keep the speed down, until another chap passes me on the A6 "hill" from Stockport. And there it goes: mind goes into "a dog that's just seen a cat" and commuter race is on. My legs felt like lead at the top of the hill, but hey -- it was worth it :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I don't race exactly but I do enjoy catching up and passing other riders

I've lately realised that these days I do what others used to do to me, cruise pass seemingly without effort other bikes puffing and panting along

And I do like trying to keep up with/chase quicker riders, the bastards

once the new ride arrives the only excuse I'll have is a single pannier

domtyler

Über Member
Yesterday I was genuinely beaten for pace for the first time in... I seriously cannot remember the last time. I was on my fixie too! :biggrin:

Going toward Bow flyover I managed to get ahead of this guy but going up the hill he had the better of me and I was totally flat out, nothing left to give, just watching him pull away.

And he had mudguards and a large rucksack.

We hit heavy traffic down the other side and I left him for dead but that was only a very small consolation.

I think it's time to go for some longer training rides.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
i might have won, but was it really worth it ?

It is always worth it. I got sneaked up on by 2 this morning working in a pair who got the drop on me. 2 miles further on and revenge was sweet :biggrin:

Top Bottom