Should I cancel tour to France in April?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
thanks for all the comments! Bookings etc is not an issue as I already have an outbound ferry for 1 April that is non refundable. Language not an issue in France, as I grew up speaking French. My concern is suddenly finding all the campsites are closed, and hotels too.

Current plan is wait and see, if not I might do the UK and stay with friends on a Tour de Corona......

I think you would be fine if you were left alone to get on with it.

But the problem is you might not be.

I wouldn't fancy being subject to emergency regulations in a foreign country with a language barrier and not understanding how the various arms of that state work.

Negotiating your way through the restrictions would not be easy.
First time for everything: I agree with @Pale Rider. Off the top of my head I can think of the following scenarios:
- If you got sick, you'd be screwed
- If they implemented a lockdown, you'd be screwed
- If your trip proceeded uneventfully but you arrived in Ouistreham to find the port closed, you'd be screwed
- If they shut the patisseries you'd be very screwed

By all means hold off cancelling as long as you can but operate on the basis of "no tour"

Edit to add: while you could do wild camping or stay in aires even if they are shut down (several of the campsites I stayed in on my tour were in closed season), but in the event of a lockdown or panic buying situation you would find food and water difficult to come by.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Personally, I'd wait and see. Things are likely to be much different by mid April.

I've just had a work trip to France cancelled for next week by the French side in case I'm not allowed to leave France afterwards. it could be an excess of caution or they might know something that we don't. They have a lot more cases than we do.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Wait and see. If things escalate and demand drops the ferry company may suspend operations. In which case you’d probably be offered a chance to book a later date. Things are moving rapidly. Where we will be in 2 weeks is very hard to predict other than worse than now,

Rocky

Hello decadence
If he's away with me he will need more drink, not less.

I'm probably not the best company in a stressful situation.

Although as I get older I am more calm when things go wrong.
In that case I’m coming too!!

Rocky

Hello decadence
It might make for a, er, lively peloton, but it might also be one of the shorter tours you've been on.
I reckon we’d all get on fine. At least we’d never be at a loss for things to talk about.

My long distance touring and camping days are long gone - I’m more of a debit card and Brompton tourist these days. The Prof and I are planning Hoek to Berlin this summer. Virus permitting. We’ll average 40 miles a day.

Edit: sorry Jay I think I’ve gone off topic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Crankarm

Guru
EasyJet are allowing free amendments to flights for dates and destinations, you just pay the balance if the new flight(s) you select is more expensive. No admin fees nor refund of the difference if it is cheaper.

Crankarm

Guru
thanks for all the comments! Bookings etc is not an issue as I already have an outbound ferry for 1 April that is non refundable. Language not an issue in France, as I grew up speaking French. My concern is suddenly finding all the campsites are closed, and hotels too.

Current plan is wait and see, if not I might do the UK and stay with friends on a Tour de Corona......

I would postpone as the corona situation at present in other countries is more serious. I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere even if I didn't have CV. You could be forced to stay in make shift accommodation under lock down conditions and have to pay for it. I'd rather be at home. I should imagine as the temps rise as we enter summer months, the spread of this virus might be reduced, but I might be wrong.

Also there is the potential of you contracting CV, being quarantined or being hospitalised and if badly infected dying in a foreign hospital far from home and family. You have to think of what would happen to your bike.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I am definitely in wait and see mode. Total cash up front has been £90 so little to lose

Day by day it is getting less likely. If that is the biggest problem I have I will be very happy

Top Bottom