Should I cancel tour to France in April?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I am definitely in wait and see mode. Total cash up front has been £90 so little to lose

Day by day it is getting less likely. If that is the biggest problem I have I will be very happy

I would try and change your booking. The reason I know Easyjet aren't charging admin fees for flight changes made on-line is cos I did just this so I don't lose just under £200. Maybe the ferry company you are using will do the same so you don't even lose £90. I was able to postpone for one month which may not be long enough. Having said that who knows when things are going to be back to normal? I do have travel insurance although they won't pay until Boris and the FCO declares most of Europe "only but essential travel or bars travel completely to specific countries" as you can bet insurers will rely on anything to get out of paying compensation.

Last edited:
The decision may be taken out of your hands.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The decision may be taken out of your hands.

It looks like it already has:

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has ordered the closure of all non-essential public locations from midnight (23:00 GMT Saturday) in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

The measure applies to restaurants, cafes, cinemas and nightclubs, as well as "non-essential" businesses.

Mr Philippe also called on French people to reduce their travel, especially between towns.

If you have insurance there is no need to change your plans. Food, water, camping, hotels, transport, google translate etc will all be available.
If a government blocks cross border travel, then as long as you took out insurance before it happened, you will get your money back.
What is the situation with campsites?

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Things are getting silly, if we want to go out of the house we have to print out a form stating why we are out and for what reason, If we are caught without this plus photo id we are going to be fined 38 euros, already police checks have started, must have been like this during the war!!!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Myself and a friend had planned Channel to the Med arriving in Nice on the 25th for the TDF Grand Depart on the 27th and flying home afterwards. We planned to start in early June. At present we have four possibilities:
  1. Carry on regardless though we feel flying home could be a problem
  2. Ride to the Dordogne >Bordeaux >back up the coast to St Malo and ferry home
  3. Abandon France and ride the Outer Hebrides
  4. Ride the North Coast 500
Currently #3 and #4 are favourites

Things are getting silly, if we want to go out of the house we have to print out a form stating why we are out and for what reason, If we are caught without this plus photo id we are going to be fined 38 euros, already police checks have started, must have been like this during the war!!!
That’s pretty draconian.

We still have no idea whether the trip we’re planning is on or not. Flying to Switzerland, riding back through France. It’s not until June, but I still don’t fancy our chances.

lane

Veteran
Cancelled my no refunds P&O booking. They are holding the funds as a credit for a future booking which I think I'd quite fair and I am happy because it gives me flexibility.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There's no reason to think things will be better here than in France.
I agree but it is sensible to be in one's own country at this time of crisis. Our language skills are limited to the basics for touring in France. We wouldn't be able to understand anything of importance and so have abandoned the idea of France unless a miracle, probably literally, occurs.

Whether touring in the UK is sensible or possible remains to be seen. Language aside the big advantage of remaining in the UK is we can pack up and go without any planning.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
reading some posts on a local FB page the police seem to be out in force checking forms and fines have been increased to 135 euros for not producing it x

Top Bottom