Should I cancel tour to France in April?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes correct, just passing on info from a person that was in France several times this week, and yes he went by car as he had permission to do so. Pretty sure some of the French members of CC could chime in with some more credible and perhaps more accurate info.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I understood the 2km to be walking or cycling, no reasonable restriction on car travel assuming you comply to the above categories
That is the way l understand it also. If you are walking or cycling for exercise thats fine but you have to stay within the 2 km radius of home. If you are going food shopping or for other necessary stuff (as in food) then thats ok as long as you have A.D.D. form filled in and signed and dated even if you are travelling by bicycle.
The only person l know who has been stopped by the police is the guy that shoes our horses and he was allowed to go on with no problems. So going to work or food shopping etc is no problem just leisure activity .

woodbutcher

Veteran
By the way this is my translation of part of a statement by Christian Prudhomme . There is a lot more but its very French wringing of the hands and bemoaning the potential cancellation of the most famous bike race in the world. And the very fair point that riders are going to be denied their essential build up events before the TDF, a mere three months away.

"Cycling has been stopped since Saturday and the shortened end of Paris-Nice. All races until the beginning of May are already deleted from the calendar. All eyes are on the Tour de France, whose departure is due to take place on June 27, from Nice."

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Du moins, ils prennent ce virus tres serieusement bien que les gens soient aussi cons qu'ici a acheter plus que ce qu'ils ont besoin.
( At least, they are taking this virus very seriously although the people are as stupid as over here by buying far more than what they need.)

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm in the process of unravelling my trip which should have started Monday... outward TGV ticket refunded in full via Trainline app, though the return via Ouigo is proving more tricky, despite the website saying I should get a full (only 19€) refund.

Then there are the EasyJet flights, only booked a couple of weeks ago, when Flybe collapsed... I can transfer those to another date, but not refund. Still, I seem to have time on my hands...

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Du moins, ils prennent ce virus tres serieusement bien que les gens soient aussi cons qu'ici a acheter plus que ce qu'ils ont besoin.
( At least, they are taking this virus very seriously although the people are as stupid as over here by buying far more than what they need.)
I've also seen people in Crest wondering why so many 'idiots' are still wandering around the streets, lessening the effectiveness of the lockdown...

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm in the process of unravelling my trip which should have started Monday... outward TGV ticket refunded in full via Trainline app, though the return via Ouigo is proving more tricky, despite the website saying I should get a full (only 19€) refund.

Then there are the EasyJet flights, only booked a couple of weeks ago, when Flybe collapsed... I can transfer those to another date, but not refund. Still, I seem to have time on my hands...
Bingo... the refund link is missing on the page in English on the Ouigo website, but is present here: https://remboursement.ouigo.com/ - got my full 19€ back now.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Bingo... the refund link is missing on the page in English on the Ouigo website, but is present here: https://remboursement.ouigo.com/ - got my full 19€ back now.
It's all getting rather serious ...at least it is as far as my cycling is concerned because there is now a total ban on any form of bike riding whether you are on your own or not. So back on the bloody stupid trainer which is as like real cycling as tiddly winks is to chess. However well done getting your refund . Next bone of contention is probably TDF or no TDF this year !

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It's all getting rather serious ...at least it is as far as my cycling is concerned because there is now a total ban on any form of bike riding whether you are on your own or not. So back on the bloody stupid trainer which is as like real cycling as tiddly winks is to chess. However well done getting your refund . Next bone of contention is probably TDF or no TDF this year !
Yeah, how quickly it's moved from me replacing my Flybe tickets with EasyJet ones, to it being better to stay here, as at least, for now, we can cycle. It'd be torture to be at my French place and local roads like this to be out of bounds...

DSC03923.jpg

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yeah, how quickly it's moved from me replacing my Flybe tickets with EasyJet ones, to it being better to stay here, as at least, for now, we can cycle. It'd be torture to be at my French place and local roads like this to be out of bounds...

View attachment 509630
I see what you mean about the torture , great road and view !!
It will be all the sweeter being able to ride it again if we get through this disaster ok .

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
So as the OP here is how my thinking has gone on the planned tour

January - booked

February - planned route and identified all open campsites

March
  • friends from America fine about still coming
  • friends from America cancel - maybe I will do UK to Istanbul solo?
  • OK, France solo will be ok
  • I am sure a tour in the UK will be OK
  • I can do a UK tour planned around visits to friends
  • OK I can do an overnight to the local woods for stealth camping
  • A night in my tent in the garden after a turbo session would be nice

woodbutcher

Veteran
So as the OP here is how my thinking has gone on the planned tour

January - booked

February - planned route and identified all open campsites

March
  • friends from America fine about still coming
  • friends from America cancel - maybe I will do UK to Istanbul solo?
  • OK, France solo will be ok
  • I am sure a tour in the UK will be OK
  • I can do a UK tour planned around visits to friends
  • OK I can do an overnight to the local woods for stealth camping
  • A night in my tent in the garden after a turbo session would be nice
I appreciate your sense of humour ^_^ !

Thanks for that jay.:smile:
Until very recently i was contemplating the penultimate one.
Totally non contact
But as you say no longer an option.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
More clarification now. I'd actually thought that had I been at my house, which is 4km from the nearest food shop, strictly speaking I'd not have been permitted to walk or cycle there, so would have been reliant on a neighbour to drive me. Now, I see, they've said that that would be permitted (you'd still have to carry the declaration), but I'd not be donning the lycra...

tl;dr - don't go to France to ride a bike, for the foreseeable future.

90704476_3391652484196438_2088576024051712000_o.jpg

Top Bottom