Should I cancel tour to France in April?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am due to sail 1 April to St Malo back 13 April from Caen. The American friends joining me have now cancelled, so I have a ferry booked. I have more time available, so could actually go for a few weeks, but whilst I am normally a "wing it" sort of guy, I am nervous about being abroad in some sort of lockdown situation

If I was comfortable with it, I would consider cycling to Istanbul, but several countries are currently off the list!

What do you think?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What one person would do would be very different to someone else, but you may find the decision taken out of your hands. Personally, I would cancel at the last moment that I could get my cash back (if it is possible). However, some things have been cancelled on me already, it is a shame as I had a lot of fun things booked over the next few months.

lane

Veteran
I have a trip planned to Belgium in May. Emailed the person I am going with and he said he thought the chance of us going as no better than 50%. Obviously more than one reason why we might not be able to go. Got a cheaper price for the ferry with a no refunds policy so no immediate need to decide but in my mind I am not really expecting to go. I think it depends partly on how long you are going for - the longer the planned trip the riskier in various ways. If its just a long weekend as mine is then no so much of problems occurring. I think not cancelling until you have to is good advice.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think you would be fine if you were left alone to get on with it.

But the problem is you might not be.

I wouldn't fancy being subject to emergency regulations in a foreign country with a language barrier and not understanding how the various arms of that state work.

Negotiating your way through the restrictions would not be easy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm going to note the various last cancellation dates and decide each time one comes. I think most for the Limburg tour were either non-refundable or cancel-by-day-before, so little need to decide far ahead. Italy later this year had some cancel-by-month-before so that may be more difficult, but I suspect if we cancel then we might find somewhere to rebook if we change our mind.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Apart from schools closing everything appears normal here, shops full and people still doing the kissy kissy thing !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
According to an email I just got from my sister in law Denmark seems to be pretty well locked down. She also said the shops seem to be stripped bare. You probably would have difficulty getting into the country anyway but it does not seem to be a go to place just now.

Julia9054

Guru
I would go unless you are told officially that you can‘t. If you are cycle touring you are out in the fresh air and away from large groups of people.
I have a ferry booked for late May - cycling round Belgium and the Netherlands. Unless my ferry is cancelled for me or I actually have the Coronavirus, I intend to go.

If you have insurance there is no need to change your plans. Food, water, camping, hotels, transport, google translate etc will all be available.
If a government blocks cross border travel, then as long as you took out insurance before it happened, you will get your money back.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you've already got travel insurance then you could risk it. If not, I wouldn't go. As I've posted elsewhere on here, two of the big UK insurance companies have now halted all sales of travel insurance and a third will not cover delays, cancellations or disruption connected with the corona virus.

Top Bottom