Should I change groupset or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
had a scare this afternoon a car pulled in front of me and when i pulled on the brakes really hard i slowed down but very nearly hit the car, groupset is a shimano ax and the brakes are no where as good as twin pivot calipers. should i just upgrade to a more up to date groupset (105/ultegra) and leave the older type groupsets to slower bikes, dont know if i would feel safe again going quick with ax brakes

Last edited:
Punctuation will help us understand the problem.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Isn't Shimano AX a product name for their fishing line? Are you trying to stop using fishing reel??? That wouldn't be very effective in stopping in my opinion.
Pretty much any brake can be made to work efficiently if time is taken to set it up.
I constantly read about tektro oryxs being crap. Mine work perfectly.

Drago

Legendary Member
Right, who's going to be first to tell him to clean/degrease his rim (fnarr) and upgrade his brake pads?

@Vantage go no-name unbranded calipers on my Felt, which I suspect are Tektros on account that they appear identical, other than having the word "Tektro" omitted. Anyway, they stop like a broom handle through the spokes, bloody brilliant. I think the secret ingredient is the pads Felt use.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Isn't Shimano AX a product name for their fishing line? Are you trying to stop using fishing reel??? That wouldn't be very effective in stopping in my opinion.
Pretty much any brake can be made to work efficiently if time is taken to set it up.

The efficiency would depend on the braking strain of the line

TheDoctor

Europe Endless

AX were a Campag Delta-ish brake.
Look amazing, but things have moved on.
shimano ax.jpg

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Don't delta brakes have a rep for being a bit crap at the best of times?

thanks for the replies guys, after reading replies and thinking about it, as drago said delta brakes have a rep and i have fitted new pads and the rims are clean so rather than turn of road again into grass verge brakes at least need changed perhaps groupset.

thanks for your reply winjim now that really cheered me up seen the funny side and vantage lol i might as well have used a fishing line.

at least i have a few other bikes so can still go out, doctor you are right think i will stick to more up to date brakes and derrick thank you.

Attachments

• 100_8464[1].JPG
    100_8464[1].JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_8465[1].JPG
    100_8465[1].JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_8470[1].JPG
    100_8470[1].JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 35

Drago

Legendary Member
Its a lovely old thing. Some older 105 calipers would pep up the brakes and still be in keeping with the bikes age. You'd probably make your money back selling the old calipers.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just stick a pair of 105 calipers on, if the frame isn't set up for 'sleeve nuts' then you can easily drill the back of the fork to 8mm (But only drill the back out)
As for the rear Do not drill out the bridge, simply fit a 2nd front caliper to the back (the only difference is the pivot bolt length) and a nylock nut.

Warning- you can then expect brakes that will lock either wheel with ease and using 1 finger.

Top Bottom