Should I change groupset or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Punctuation will help us understand the problem.
I am sure he feels much better now.
Trouble is, @derrick (and connect your other (now locked) thread) the 'no capitals, no sentences' style which David uses in all his posts deflects one's attention from the question being asked. Would you mind if all capitals had been used? Given that you encourage posters to be helpful to newbies (of whom the OP is not one) can I assume that you're nevertheless OK with people (like you above) offering gratuitous ad hominems to others?
Better blocks/pads will help, but to stop quick enough to not hit the car, the OP needs to get decent brakes: replace them with dual pivots: I'd (helpfully?) add additional advice to @TheDoctor 's link for Tiagra brakes. The OP needs to be sure that the cable pull which his (assume aero) levers can manage will be enough to operate dual pivot calipers effectively.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
While I know brake lever pull varies slightly from maker to maker, and also from year to year, I still broadly treat brake levers as two types - V-brake and everything else. I've used aero, MTB canti, STI and cross levers to operate dual pivots, and they've all worked.

While I know brake lever pull varies slightly from maker to maker, and also from year to year, I still broadly treat brake levers as two types - V-brake and everything else. I've used aero, MTB canti, STI and cross levers to operate dual pivots, and they've all worked.
'Tis true. But those brakes in the picture, just like the Deltas, don't have a fixed pull ratio but a variable one. This gives a non-linear response to brake lever input and just the slightest mis-adjustment of cable pull can leave you kissing the back of a bus. This could happen, for instance, after the pads wear a little. The bike would have worked with new pads and after a few rides, the "top end" of clamping force disappears. You don't expect this and, whammo!
Shimano is no stranger to variable pull brakes. I once owned, and loved a set of XT V-brakes with variable pull levers. To other people they where deadly. I got used to them and somehow survived. It had a funky name, M-Power or S-Wave or some such. It was Japanese for Beware.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes...but isn't the whole point that the OP is wanting to change the brakes?
I've been unable to find anything about weirdness going on in the levers from that period

Yes...but isn't the whole point that the OP is wanting to change the brakes?
I've been unable to find anything about weirdness going on in the levers from that period

I wasn't implying that there was anything strange about the levers from that period, but cautioned about mixing levers and brakes from different pairs in this particular case where the calipers are already dodgy.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Quick update, found and fitted some rx100 calipers and the brakes felt great, then i read what Yellow saddle wrote about Deltas brakes not having a fixed pull ratio but a variable one so rather than risk more fun at a latter date i have hunted out some 105 bits and will change the rest of the groupset and have the brifters on the bars.

Just have to wait on a few small bits i ordered to finish.Just one last question rx100 became 105 or so i have been told but why are some old 105 calipers single pivot and rx100 twin, better and more up to date?

Thanks again every one for replies and advice, Yellow saddle many thanks i did not know about the fixed / variable pull ratio you are perhaps one of the most knowledgeable cyclists to post on cc so your advice most welcome.

Attachments

• 100_8474[1].JPG
    100_8474[1].JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_8473[1].JPG
    100_8473[1].JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_8475[1].JPG
    100_8475[1].JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_8472[1].JPG
    100_8472[1].JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Quick update, found and fitted some rx100 calipers and the brakes felt great, then i read what Yellow saddle wrote about Deltas brakes not having a fixed pull ratio but a variable one so rather than risk more fun at a latter date i have hunted out some 105 bits and will change the rest of the groupset and have the brifters on the bars.

Just have to wait on a few small bits i ordered to finish.Just one last question rx100 became 105 or so i have been told but why are some old 105 calipers single pivot and rx100 twin, better and more up to date?

Thanks again every one for replies and advice, Yellow saddle many thanks i did not know about the fixed / variable pull ratio you are perhaps one of the most knowledgeable cyclists to post on cc so your advice most welcome.

RX 100 was what Shimano called a Non-Series component. In other words, it never had a matching gruppo that goes with it. I have RX100 long reach brakes on my bike with Campag levers. They're good brakes and great value for money.

They never "became" 105 but resemble some older 105 brakes. \
All quality brakes moved from single-pivot to dual pivot at some stage but I can't say whether 105 ever was single-pivot. Historians?

It is nice when someone reports back. I hope you're happy with your new brakes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
RX 100 was what Shimano called a Non-Series component. In other words, it never had a matching gruppo that goes with it. I have RX100 long reach brakes on my bike with Campag levers. They're good brakes and great value for money.

They never "became" 105 but resemble some older 105 brakes. \
All quality brakes moved from single-pivot to dual pivot at some stage but I can't say whether 105 ever was single-pivot. Historians?

It is nice when someone reports back. I hope you're happy with your new brakes.
I've got a single pivot 105 on the front of my Raleigh Equipe (not Original fitment)

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Are your AX brakes now redundant?

Shaun

Hi shaun, have the compleate groupset derailleurs brake levers calipers and chainset, but have not thought what to do with them? Would not recommend the brakes to any one as they look nice but are no better at stopping a bike than a shoe against the front tyre.

@midlife @raleighnut

I see... believe it or not, I actually have a bit of one in a box somewhere....just a small part of one. That central nut. Now I know where it authentically fits when one day I find a caliper like that with a nut missing. You never know.

Top Bottom