Should I complain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Gaz is spot on.

Also, I would have made an effort to write in good English if I was sending a formal letter/email. As silly as it may sound, it will make them think more seriously about it, if they think you are a dumb dumb they will fob you off with any old horseshit thinking you will eat it up, if they think you sound marginally intelligent, they will likely take it more serious or at least try to come up with a more entertaining excuse or comment. :tongue:

Reactions: gaz

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Surely if you had waited behind the bus it wouldn't have hindered your journey too much would it? Of course this doesn't excuse the drivers manoeuvre.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Surely if you had waited behind the bus it wouldn't have hindered your journey too much would it? Of course this doesn't excuse the drivers manoeuvre.
Those kind of cycle lanes I keep seeing in the commuting videos are quite scary imo.
We don't have them here in Glasgow - well, at least not where I cycle - here it's either road, cycle paths or lanes shared with buses and taxis. My policy is to stay well behind buses, in good view of their mirrors.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Why on earth should I have? There was plenty of time for the lights to change and a nice wide cycle lane and a clear asl at the front.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Why on earth should I have? There was plenty of time for the lights to change and a nice wide cycle lane and a clear asl at the front.
Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.It gives cyclists a false sense of security,waiting behind the bus wouldn't have impeded your journey and would have avoided the close pass.
Of course the driver was a numpty and i hope you receive a positive reply from the bus company.

Raging Squirrel

i had an incident on the motorway in my car with a national coaches driver, the email i wrote was that descriptive that the driver was immediately suspended pending further investigation. He was later sacked when the bus's onboard video showed he was driving like a tit

Reactions: akb

Hector

Because the bus is quicker then you, sharing road space with other road users is give and take.

Personally I would have taken primary behind the bus as this is clearly a win - win situation. I hold a strong position and the bus driver can carry on with thier public duty.

The ''must get in front'' does not just apply to car/bus/lorry drivers - it also applies to cyclists and if the manueveur is not carried out in a clinical manner that results in a very poor road position then you are asking for trouble.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

That overtake was ludicrous. The bus driver was obliged to stay behind you until he could overtake safely. He did not.

Some people might think I'm over-reacting but I would have no sympathy for any bus driver who lost his licence and his job for doing such things.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I imagine the short cycle lane on the first part encourages cyclists to move up front, but without necessarily moving into primary in front and then you're essentially drag racing vehicles into a pinch point. :crazy: Strangely the cycle lane looks only long enough to skip 2-3 cars at most, which its barely worth skipping to the front of the traffic flow for. IMHO the main thing is whether you go in front or behind stay in primary. Simply being in the right wont save you from being splatted by poor driving ;)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Ummm....ASLs are provided for a reason, so cyclists can get away from the lights quicker and in more safety. But, as has been mentioned, OP needs to take primary to prevent "must get ahead of the cyclist" syndrome.
As to whether or not you should complain, that's a simple one for me.....Yes, big style. Bus drivers are supposed to be professionals and if they aren't acting like professional drivers then they shouldn't be allowed to share our road space.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ummm....ASLs are provided for a reason, so cyclists can get away from the lights quicker and in more safety. But, as has been mentioned, OP needs to take primary to prevent "must get ahead of the cyclist" syndrome.
As to whether or not you should complain, that's a simple one for me.....Yes, big style. Bus drivers are supposed to be professionals and if they aren't acting like professional drivers then they shouldn't be allowed to share our road space.
And cycle lanes are provided to keep us safe. But they still run next to the doors of parked cars.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Definitely report the bus, the driver should have done better than that. The other thing to take away is to learn from your own video from a defensive riding POV. I'd also go with Leedsbusdriver's comment on waiting behind the bus, and on Gaz's on taking the lane through the junction. I generally don't filter to the front without 3-5 vehicles of easy safe gain.

Top Bottom