Should I complain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesome

My mate was left hooked at that junction, I was nearly wiped out on the Cathall rb by a car coming the wrong way round.

Hawk

Veteran
Why on earth should I have? There was plenty of time for the lights to change and a nice wide cycle lane and a clear asl at the front.

I think you would have been much safer, and probably also faster, waiting behind.

[Faster as you'd have potentially caught a little bit of a draft off the bus as it set off which could've got you up to speed more quickly]

subaqua

What’s the point
that junction is dangerous both ways and leads onto the notorious grove green rd doorzone , sorry" Cycle lane" where many a driver with poor english language has tried to kill me.

i usually try to keep behind the bus there as it is a safer option as i can keep up with it and not have to suffer dangerous close passes.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Agree with the others here: the bus driver's driving was dangerous, and your undertake at the lights was pointless.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Im with Gaz,the amount of times people will squeeze through pinchpoints mean I really do think about what im doing in these areas,I expect no favours from stupid motorists.Better safe than sorry.

Surely if you had waited behind the bus it wouldn't have hindered your journey too much would it? Of course this doesn't excuse the drivers manoeuvre.

Must admit I tend to do this more now.I can normally draft the bus as it's so damn slow.End up overtaking it a bit later on.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I contacted a bus company about this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9TRp4omOM&feature=g-upl

In the email I sent, I mentioned video footage and provided a link. The Company Director contacted me requesting the footage before and after the incident to obviously try to see if there was any cause for the incident to occur. I have replied to him requesting details on how to go about doing that (because I cannot attatch that size of a file to an email) but he has not got back to me.
I am not really bothered if he doesnt reply, the video is public as well as his company name.

Keenbfb

I would say you've done the right thing by reporting this, regardless of the right's or wrongs of your position on the road the fact remains that you were in front of the bus and as such it was rather unsafe for him to try and pass you at that point, we could be talking to your next of kin rather than you.

I'll hold my hands up here and say that I drive buses around town for my living and always say to myself is this a safe place to pass this cyclist and if not I'll hang back until it's safe in my eyes to pass, whether it's only a hundred yards or half a mile it's not worth putting someone in danger just to get past and keep to a time table. I doubt much will happen to the driver if this is his/her first offence of this nature but the next time they see a cyclist you can bet they will give the space required and word soon spreads around the canteen "there's even more video cameras out there watching us be careful lad's".

This is a situation where an apology and education would be worth it's weight in gold rather than punishment.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Well, the repsonse I got mentioned that
"Due to Employer / Employee confidentiality I cannot share the outcome of our investigation but can give you my word that it will not just be swept under the carpet and action will be taken."

However, reading between the lines from the rest of the long email, it is clear to me that the driver will be reprimanded in some way. The email was nicely written and also suggested that I am welcome to come and sit in the cab of a bus to see things from the drivers POV. It wasn't meant to imply that I was in his blind spot. I replied back also suggesting that maybe their drivers could try and see things from a cyclists POV with some of the manouvers bus drivers make.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the outcome.

teekay421

Those kind of cycle lanes I keep seeing in the commuting videos are quite scary imo.
We don't have them here in Glasgow - well, at least not where I cycle - here it's either road, cycle paths or lanes shared with buses and taxis. My policy is to stay well behind buses, in good view of their mirrors.
I cycle on the southside of Glasgow, Kilmarnock Rd. and see these kind of cycle lanes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, the repsonse I got mentioned that
"Due to Employer / Employee confidentiality I cannot share the outcome of our investigation but can give you my word that it will not just be swept under the carpet and action will be taken."

However, reading between the lines from the rest of the long email, it is clear to me that the driver will be reprimanded in some way. The email was nicely written and also suggested that I am welcome to come and sit in the cab of a bus to see things from the drivers POV. It wasn't meant to imply that I was in his blind spot. I replied back also suggesting that maybe their drivers could try and see things from a cyclists POV with some of the manouvers bus drivers make.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the outcome.

You might like to email them this video, it's pretty decent and shows both sides:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I cycle on the southside of Glasgow, Kilmarnock Rd. and see these kind of cycle lanes.
I'm in Rutherglen, don't need to go further than Pollockshaws road at Strathbungo, on my travels.
Shall investigate Kilmarnock Road on the bike, but on a Sunday morning, nobody about :thumbsup:

Top Bottom