Should I...shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What we are all dying to know, is whether @vickster's desire to grab a bargain will outweigh her stated dislike of bikes with black paint jobs and fugly STI levers?
No-one likes a bargain more than me, but personally I'd walk on by and leave it, even with a 59% discount to RRP. Discs, drab paint, and fugly brakes would all put me off and I would stick to the rim-braked model.

No worse than @Reynard and me - red and white, and the bike's alright.
:biggrin:

Or silver & red... As long as there's red on the bike, I'm happy... :laugh:

Might explain why I have four bikes, all of them red, or mostly so... :whistle:

All uphill

Still rolling along
What we are all dying to know, is whether @vickster's desire to grab a bargain will outweigh her stated dislike of bikes with black paint jobs and fugly STI levers?
No-one likes a bargain more than me, but personally I'd walk on by and leave it, even with a 59% discount to RRP. Discs, drab paint, and fugly brakes would all put me off and I would stick to the rim-braked model.

For me the question is which you love more; the bike or the discount.

If you feel the love for the discount then I'd agree with John and suggest you give it a miss. There will be other bikes.

Good luck!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Technically it's not (completely) black :whistle:
Clearly I need to see one, and there's no rush. The offer will likely be around until it's replaced by next year's model ^_^

I very much love the Equilibrium and I've considered the disc version before. Another option might be a frameset (likely also well discounted, and based on past years a different paint job. ) and transplant from the Boardman

They do.. @Reynard might like
https://www.freeborn.co.uk/genesis-...MI07Xbmcf35gIVirTtCh32SQgsEAUYAiABEgKI5vD_BwE

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I love a bargain. Upside is lots of fantastic deals over the years. Downside is ££££££'s spent on crap we didn't really need. Remember, it's not a bargain if you don't need it or won't use it. Even at half-price, it is still an expensive piece of kit to have sat around not being used.

(I say this as someone with a 30 year old Raleigh Pursuit in the shed, barely used, which has moved house with us at least twice).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
(I say this as someone with a 30 year old Raleigh Pursuit in the shed, barely used, which has moved house with us at least twice).

Why don't you get it out and ride it then? I have a 35 year old Raleigh Royal, which is going to get ridden this afternoon, and probably tomorrow as well. It's the most comfortable riding frame I own.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I love a bargain. Upside is lots of fantastic deals over the years. Downside is ££££££'s spent on crap we didn't really need. Remember, it's not a bargain if you don't need it or won't use it. Even at half-price, it is still an expensive piece of kit to have sat around not being used.
This is very true. I already have a couple of expensive unused bikes :unsure:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Why don't you get it out and ride it then? I have a 35 year old Raleigh Royal, which is going to get ridden this afternoon, and probably tomorrow as well. It's the most comfortable riding frame I own.

When I decided I wanted a bike again, I dug it out and started to recomission it, but it needed new tyres, chain, and is quite rusty. Thus a few months ago I bought a £200 Giant TCR C3 on Sphock, which I love. As a new rider, I wasn't always happy riding it in the wet though so made an impulse bid on a Dawes mountain bike for £30 on eBay to use off road and in winter.

I would still like to sort out the Raleigh though - will look for deals on bits and do it as a long term project. I have torn my shoulder tendon so I'm not riding either much atm though.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@vickster On the Shimano Hydros, have you been looking at the more recent STI's or the old, bulky and horrible RS505? OK, I have massive hands, but I cannot really tell any grip difference between my hydro and non-hydro hoods.
I hope your test ride goes well, it is about time you bought a new bike.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster On the Shimano Hydros, have you been looking at the more recent STI's or the old, bulky and horrible RS505? OK, I have massive hands, but I cannot really tell any grip difference between my hydro and non-hydro hoods.
I hope your test ride goes well, it is about time you bought a new bike.
I’ve pretty much decided I really don’t need it, test riding is problematic due to the dearth of Genesis dealers (even though there are loads of bike shops)
Even looking at the pics, the hoods look like massive horns!
I’m used to nice svelte Sram ones :whistle:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I’ve pretty much decided I really don’t need it, test riding is problematic due to the dearth of Genesis dealers (even though there are loads of bike shops)
Even looking at the pics, the hoods look like massive horns!
I’m used to nice svelte Sram ones :whistle:
Far too sensible of you. :surrender:

Top Bottom