Should I take the plunge? - claud butler elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toby_2009

Evening,

I'm 17 and have been riding casually for a few years but more recently I have been taking it more seriously.

I own a Giant Boulder MTB which I originally bought just for the cycle to school and for the odd bit of light off roading. As time went by i got more and more serious about cycling and now ride 3-4 times a week which is about 80% roads 20% off road. I really enjoy the 'training' aspect of road riding and it has recently become my aim to cycle the LEJOG in roughly September 2011.

I was in my local bike shop and was talking to the mechanic there about the various options to get some more efficiency out of my bike for the road rides. we talked about a second set of wheels with slicks on etc but then he mentioned that they have got a claud butler elite on sale because its last years model.

Reviews etc on this bike are fairly scarce - anybody got any experience or advice to me on whether its the right time and right bike?

Thanks, all the best,

Toby

Bandini

shrew

Hi toby

I brought a claud bike a couple of years ago and i have to say i was a bit disappointed. it started off well but after about 6 months of regular use it seems to wear out in places, the quality that CB seemed to have 10 years ago just didnt seem to be there any more.

last year i got myself a Boardman racer, it was less then 2 months old and from £700 i got it for 400.

the bike is awesome, just dont trust halfords to put them together.

As for the right time, yeah,. spring is when most bikes are sold, and most places want rid of there old stock to make room for new models and going for a 09 model is good thinking imo.

at the £400 mark i would aim to pick up a nearly new bike, the quality of the ride/componants are dramatically better.

for £350- 400 im pretty confident youll pick up a far superior bike in mint condition and with warrenty (ebays a good place, just make sure people have got the recipt) specialized allez 18's come up reguler and are a nice rid.

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

shrew said:
Hi toby

I brought a claud bike a couple of years ago and i have to say i was a bit disappointed. it started off well but after about 6 months of regular use it seems to wear out in places, the quality that CB seemed to have 10 years ago just didnt seem to be there any more.

last year i got myself a Boardman racer, it was less then 2 months old and from £700 i got it for 400.

the bike is awesome, just dont trust halfords to put them together.

at the £400 mark i would aim to pick up a nearly new bike, the quality of the ride/componants are dramatically better.

for £400 im pretty confident youll pick up a far superior bike in mint condition and with warrenty (ebays a good place, just make sure people have got the recipt).

usefull, thanks!

what sort of thing wore out? things like bottom bracket etc?

shrew

Well after 6 months the Bottom bracket needed replacing and the wheel bearings wernt in good shape and tbh the wheels didnt feel so good when it was new.There was some play in the headset and the seat tore also after about 2 months for no good reason.

maybe i just had a bad experiance but im only 10.5 stone and i used the bike to ride about 70 miles a week so i wasnt exactly heavy on the bike.

Edit: oh, and a pedel snapped.

Top Bottom