should i tell anybody about this...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

This morning while i was cycling, as I cycled past a certain spot I smelt this really foul smell. Like rotting chicken. It was rank. After I'd cycled about 20 yards further along, it past. But then this evening, as i was cycling back past the same spot, I smelt it again - the same rank smell, the same intensity, in exactly the same place. There are some houses on one side, and a field on the other. Fairly localized, so it wasn't like a farmer had decided to spread a new type of manure on a field or something. Again, 20 yards down and it had gone. But it was really rank, definitely rotting something.

I thought not much more about it this morning, I thought somebody must have thrown a LOT of rotten chicken out in their bin or something (although I can't think why they would).
But since I smelt it again tonight, I can't help thinking 'what if it's a dead body?' :wacko: ;) :cry:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Could very well be an animal carcass rotting in the field. I know what you mean about wondering if you should tell anyone. I used to pass a certain point near a row of houses, where I thought I smelt ether, occasionally, and wondered if it was a meth lab.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
One night when captaining a narrowboat on the Grand Union in North London I thought I saw a hand reaching up, under the water. I slowed and looked back with a torch but could not clearly make out the shape and as I needed to get back to my mooring, I thought it best left alone.

Later I was to sleep fitfully worrying if it was the hand of a dead body or a glove, floating, tantalising to the imagination, just below the surface?

T x

Tetedelacourse

In the words of the great Shaun Ryder, call the cops.

But make sure you have an alibi as they will immediately suspect you. Tdrinka you would obviously need a watertight alibi.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bonj said:
I thought not much more about it this morning, I thought somebody must have thrown a LOT of rotten chicken out in their bin or something (although I can't think why they would).
But since I smelt it again tonight, I can't help thinking 'what if it's a dead body?' :wacko: ;) :cry:
I had an experience like that a few years back. I was walking up a path through some local woods with my ex and stepdaughter and caught a whiff of something really bad coming from the trees. We couldn't see anything from the path and off-path it was a bit muddy so we didn't investigate further. A couple of weeks later I opened the local paper and saw an article on the shocking discovery of another walker - a young guy's rotting corpse hanging from a tree...:ohmy:xx( From a purely selfish point of view, I'm glad that we didn't discover the body, but it meant an extra agonising two weeks for the man's worried relatives.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Oh my God! The lost Athurian legend of the Lady of the Grand Union Canal.
King Arthur and the Kinghts of the Drowned Table!

This would make a fantastic late night around the campfire thread!

T x

Pete

Probably best to play safe and call the police - they will not get upset if it was merely an animal. Years ago, a neighbour's garden gate, and the pavement before it, were discovered one morning covered in blood - a huge quantity of it. The police were summoned and took an intense interest until eventually a forensic analyst determined that it was pig's blood, not human, and probably left there as an unpleasant prank. But for a while it was scary!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Could you put a peg on your nose, go back the spot and have a poke around to check? Just don't disturb anything too much, or you'll be mucking up the forensics...

Or if you're concerened about wasting police time, and don't want to go looking yourself, could you call the local water company and tell them you think there's a sewage leak? That way, they might find whatever it is.. Although you might look a tad more dodgey....

mrben

tdr1nka said:
Oh my God! The lost Athurian legend of the Lady of the Grand Union Canal.
King Arthur and the Kinghts of the Drowned Table!

strange women lying in canals distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Top Bottom