Should mirrors be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cronorider

Another thread got me thinking about the use of mirrors. I don't see very many bikes that have mirrors on them, particularly road bikes. I do have one of the bar end mirrors on my road bike, which is very unobtrusive, and I find it to be very useful, particularly in town. Do you use a mirror? Mirrors are mandatory on every other vehicle, why not bikes?

No.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No they shouldn't, No I don't and they're not mandatory on bikes because you have an unobstructed direct rear view (well, maybe unless you're using a full face helmet for road cycling). Looking over your shoulder will always be better than a vibration-affected little mirror.

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

No they shouldn't, No I don't and they're not mandatory on bikes because you have an unobstructed direct rear view (well, maybe unless you're using a full face helmet for road cycling). Looking over your shoulder will always be better than a vibration-affected little mirror.

Once again, from my own experience, I would have to disagree.

broadway

Veteran

Most cyclists I see moving around obstructions don't take advantage of the "unobstructed direct rear" view. My "vibration-affected little mirror" is more than adequate to give a good idea of what is behind me and also allows me to judge when the best time to do a shoulder check if one is required.

Tin Pot

Guru
Another thread got me thinking about the use of mirrors. I don't see very many bikes that have mirrors on them, particularly road bikes. I do have one of the bar end mirrors on my road bike, which is very unobtrusive, and I find it to be very useful, particularly in town. Do you use a mirror? Mirrors are mandatory on every other vehicle, why not bikes?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

U

User32269

Can see why lights are mandatory, but don't want anything else made a legal requirement for my bike.
One of the joys of cycling is the freedom it gives; think it may be a slippery slope once something else is made compulsory? Helmets, hi viz, registration plates? Nah.

Top Bottom