Should mirrors be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cronorider

Going to expand on this?

First I should say that I always shoulder check. I use the mirror sort of as an advance warning system. Glance at the mirror from time to time just to stay cognizant of what's back there. Then when I go to shoulder check, I'm already aware that there is a vehicle behind me. In town or out on the roads, cars can be seen from a long ways off. It's extremely useful when paceline riding with a group. The last rider is responsible for calling 'car back', and when I am at the back I use my mirror to keep an eye on the road.

OP
OP
C

Cronorider

Doesn't it depend more on what's happening in front of you and whether you can probably safely look away from it for a fraction of a second?

Only you can answer that. Get one and try it. If I was doing a lot of city and commuting rides, I would have motorcycle type mirrors on my bike

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
No mirrors, thank you, but no. :angry:

I rode a recumbent for a while - mirrors are pretty much essential. I really liked keeping an eye on the road behind. I thought when getting back on a road bike I would use mirrors - but I never did.
I agree that twisting you head around is a clear sign that you are about to take a manoeuvre - There are also things you can miss in a mirror.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No.
As others have said, I have them on the recumbent trike and they are very useful as shoulder checks are difficult

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I've used mirrors for along time and find them really helpful. You can see cars coming from a long way back and see their road positioning as they start passing you so you are forewarned of close passes.

They can be negatively affected by the rain and the dark but then hearing can be affected by speed/wind and traffic noise.

Part of the reason I like them might be due to needing prescription glasses - it's uncomfortable and slow to turn my head far enough to see far behind me through the lenses.

That said, they are a huge pain in the arse. To be useful they have to stick out beyond your handlebars so they get caught going through doors and gates and they adjust themselves when you lean the bike against something. These are not issues with other vehicles. All the mirrors I've tried that sit 'within' the handlebars are useless as my body blocks the view. They also interfere with bar ends. Perhaps they work better with drop bars.

I can see why more people don't use them and they absolutely should not be compulsory. Ultimately they are not necessary for bicycles in the way they are for cars since you can turn to look wherever you want. If they were mandatory people would just stick a tiny unobtrusive one in the middle of their handlebars that would do nothing.

broadway

Veteran
So why would you think most cyclists would use mirrors even if they had them? Wouldn't mirrors become another thing like bells or pedal reflectors that loads of cyclists don't bother with regardless of any laws and so manufacturers would supply the cheapest crap or find a loophole? Maybe your mirror is adequate but you do realise that there's plenty on the market which aren't, don't you?

And why do you need a mirror "to judge when the best time to do a shoulder check" is? Doesn't it depend more on what's happening in front of you and whether you can probably safely look away from it for a fraction of a second?
So why would you think most cyclists would use mirrors even if they had them? Wouldn't mirrors become another thing like bells or pedal reflectors that loads of cyclists don't bother with regardless of any laws and so manufacturers would supply the cheapest crap or find a loophole? Maybe your mirror is adequate but you do realise that there's plenty on the market which aren't, don't you?

And why do you need a mirror "to judge when the best time to do a shoulder check" is? Doesn't it depend more on what's happening in front of you and whether you can probably safely look away from it for a fraction of a second?

I didn't say they should be mandatory, I was reply to you statement that you have an unobstructed rear view (not that I see cyclist using it).

I also don't follow your second statement, checking a mirror takes a significantly shorter time than a full shoulder check. If I am turning right I can check the mirror to judge when to do a shoulder check without out worrying about overtaking cars. As what's in front a quick glance in a mirror would be much safer than a full shoulder check should I have to take avoiding action.

Top Bottom