Should mirrors be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Mirrors can be a help. They will indicate when it's NOT safe to move out, but cannot be relied on alone to know when it is safe to move out. Used one for a short time following a collar bone break when I could not turn by head easily, but no longer use one.

hoopdriver

Guru
I commuted for years in Melbourne (a long time ago) and found my mirror to be quite helpful. I didn't rely on it entirely, but found it a useful addition to various safety protocols I followed in traffic. Back then - we are talking early 1990s - I had an old tourer (old even then) and a mirror that fitted the brake hood quite nicely. I have never found one to suit any of my present bikes. If I could get such a mirror again, or such a good fit on my brake hoods, I would probably use it - that said, I haven't used a mirror in well over twenty years and haven't missed it either. But then I am not commuting through city traffic any more.

But mandatory? No way.

mustang1

Guru
No.

Objects in mirrors may appear larger than reality. Or was it smaller? No no, nearer. That's it. See, so much confusion already.

Ps. Every other vehicle has a motor, why shouldn't bikes? Oh yeah, coz they are different. :smile:

No, they most emphatically should not be compulsory.

That doesn't make them not useful and I would really miss mine if I didn't have it. It doesn't replace a shoulder check, but it does allow considerably more situational awareness at all times as I can flick my eyes to the mirror very much more frequently than I would ever turn my head and look back. As a result I usually see approaching vehicles long in advance and can modify what I do accordingly (including making sure they can't overtake on a single track road, for example, other than when I choose to allow them to at a safe point). Any actual manoevre still requires a proper shoulder check, but the constant information about what's happening behind is, to me, invaluable, in the same way as it is in a car, even though you're not performing a manoevre all the time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I didn't say they should be mandatory, I was reply to you statement that you have an unobstructed rear view (not that I see cyclist using it).
So what's a mirror got to do with anything, then? :huh: (and maybe they look back while you're gazing adoringly at random body parts reflected in your mirror)

I also don't follow your second statement, checking a mirror takes a significantly shorter time than a full shoulder check. If I am turning right I can check the mirror to judge when to do a shoulder check without out worrying about overtaking cars.
Maybe that's because I completely don't follow your reasoning: why's it matter if there's overtaking cars? Would you turn right without shoulder-checking if some nobber's overtaking? :huh:

As what's in front a quick glance in a mirror would be much safer than a full shoulder check should I have to take avoiding action.
I'm talking about normal road use, not exceptions. Heck, one of those James Bond inflatable coats might be useful sometimes, but let's not mandate them for everyone all the time.

mjr

Mirrors can be useful, but.......... what is this fixation with making (even more) things compulsory?
The right-wingers have got to stick to proposing cycling-related rules now PCA's banned, perhaps?

Drago

Legendary Member
They should not be mandatory. Experience has shown that they are rarely used properly on vehicles where their fitment is already mandatory - there is no evidence to suggest that cyclists will be any less lazy or more conscientious than any other category of road users, so extending it to bicycles would serve no purpose.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Mirrors can be a help. They will indicate when it's NOT safe to move out, but cannot be relied on alone to know when it is safe to move out.

I see people say this a lot but it doesn't make sense to me. A well positioned mirror will show everything behind you. It can't magically conceal a car. If it's covered in rain or something it's obviously a different matter but otherwise it does show you if it's safe to move out or not.

mjr

I see people say this a lot but it doesn't make sense to me. A well positioned mirror will show everything behind you. It can't magically conceal a car.
Oh go on, I'll bite: what do you define as "well positioned"? It sounds an awful lot like fairly high and so far out to one side (to avoid the rider's body masking a small car) that it's going to bounce like hell and get clonked by posts/barriers that are even slightly narrow - at least on a non-recumbent.

broadway

Veteran
So what's a mirror got to do with anything, then? :huh: (and maybe they look back while you're gazing adoringly at random body parts reflected in your mirror)

Maybe that's because I completely don't follow your reasoning: why's it matter if there's overtaking cars? Would you turn right without shoulder-checking if some nobber's overtaking? :huh:

I'm talking about normal road use, not exceptions. Heck, one of those James Bond inflatable coats might be useful sometimes, but let's not mandate them for everyone all the time.

I thought this was a thread about mirrors, my mistake.

I can't see random body parts in a mirror, no idea what the random body parts jibe is about.

I'm using the mirror to assess when to shoulder check, I find it useful to see what is potentially overtaking rather than mutiple shoulder checks.

Normal road conditions, yes that's right, another jibe.

Top Bottom