Should mirrors be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did try using a mirror on my commuting bike for a while. Vibration on it was bad & it rarely seemed to be at the right angle (no matter how I adjusted it) that I was simply looking over my shoulder anyway. It didn't work for me.

dodgy

I have a zefal spy mirror, tiny and unobtrusive. My ride partners mostly don't realise I have it, but I'm always first to call out that there's a following vehicle, later on they figure out how I know.
Also really handy for spotting if your mates are dropping off the back. And no, I don't substitute a glance at the mirror for a proper shoulder check, the mirror is as well as a shoulder check, not instead of.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Based on where the rod is placed on the helmet I would guess (could be wrong) it would have more potential to pierce through a cheek/mouth/jaw than the frames from sunglasses or spectacles.

They are incredibly flimsy, being easily knocked off even when simply setting the helmet down on a table if you're clumsy about it. I'm not saying they're safe, but I don't expect they'll cause any more injury than striking your face on a surface while wearing glasses, where the frames/lenses have potential to cause serious injury to the eyes.

Mike_P

Guru
Catseye on the hybrid, Zefel Spin on the road bike. Do not always use them but exceptionally useful for spying gaps approaching in the queue of traffic passing by on a busy A road when needing to do a right turn.

Reactions: C R

MiK1138

Veteran
Another thread got me thinking about the use of mirrors. I don't see very many bikes that have mirrors on them, particularly road bikes. I do have one of the bar end mirrors on my road bike, which is very unobtrusive, and I find it to be very useful, particularly in town. Do you use a mirror? Mirrors are mandatory on every other vehicle, why not bikes?
Only if you are handsome bugger like what I am

mustang1

Guru
Airliners don't use mirrors so I dont want to either.

Anyway, if I wanted to use mirrors then I'd go the whole way and get parking sensors on my bike too and possibly a reversing camera. Cars have them, why shouldn't bikes?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have used one for a while. Find it really usefull on clib rides. I can see if anyone is getting dropped. I have a problem with my shoulder and find it awkward to turn my head to far round. It only weighs a couple of grams so it dont slow me down.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Another one with trikes and they are extremely useful , it's a right pain without one. I am tempted to fit one on my tourer at some point.

Top Bottom