Should mirrors be mandatory?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
As everyone else says, no, absolutely not mandatory. They might add a little extra in the viewing department, but as a bicycle offers the best visibility of just about any form of road transport, they're really not needed the way they are in a car (with its very limited vision) or even on a motorcycle (wearing a full face helmet).

Last edited:

NickNick

I think if anything mandatory mirrors could drive quite a dangerous behavioural change. My gut feel is that over time you would have more cyclists not looking over their shoulder as they would assume their legally enforced mirrors are sufficient as after all "cars have mirrors and drivers don't need to look over their shoulder".

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think if anything mandatory mirrors could drive quite a dangerous behavioural change. My gut feel is that over time you would have more cyclists not looking over their shoulder as they would assume their legally enforced mirrors are sufficient as after all "cars have mirrors and drivers don't need to look over their shoulder".
:banghead: Drivers are still meant to look over their shoulder in some situations, even though far too many don't!

Sixmile

Veteran
I used a Zefal Spy mirror during our summer tour with the trailer. I found it very useful in lighter traffic and trying to find how far my wife was behind. I definitely shoulder checked a lot less.

I have since lost the little clip for it and haven't used it since but definitely can see a benefit to them.

NickNick

:banghead: Drivers are still meant to look over their shoulder in some situations, even though far too many don't!
I realise that, but very few drivers do and it was part of the point I was making (although probably not very clearly tbf)

pawl

Legendary Member
Some years ago I took the advanced motorcycle test and was always advised to do the life saver,the glance over the shoulder.Dont rely on the mirrors

What will be the next thing considered for legislation.I understand hi vis is being considered.No.So disagre re mirrors
What will be next? Disc brakes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most cyclists I see moving around obstructions don't take advantage of the "unobstructed direct rear" view. My "vibration-affected little mirror" is more than adequate to give a good idea of what is behind me and also allows me to judge when the best time to do a shoulder check if one is required.
So why would you think most cyclists would use mirrors even if they had them? Wouldn't mirrors become another thing like bells or pedal reflectors that loads of cyclists don't bother with regardless of any laws and so manufacturers would supply the cheapest crap or find a loophole? Maybe your mirror is adequate but you do realise that there's plenty on the market which aren't, don't you?

And why do you need a mirror "to judge when the best time to do a shoulder check" is? Doesn't it depend more on what's happening in front of you and whether you can probably safely look away from it for a fraction of a second?

Top Bottom