Should the U.K.driving test include a compulsory element in dealing with groups of cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would like to see it, I've got no idea how it could be done, as part of the test, but if you couldn't get a licence without demonstrating you knew how to pass a group of cyclists safely, I reckon a lot of issues could be resolved.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Practical experience on a bike during the test, yes

vickster

Legendary Member
What if people can't ride a bike, does that preclude them from driving a car. My mum can't ride a bike for example due to coccyx pain (ok she's been driving a car for about 50 years so not especially relevant)

young Ed

Veteran
I can't see it making any difference.... it's after being granted a driving licence that they start to drive like nobbers.
i agree, all the test shows is that when being tested and and under watch by the examiner you can drive sensibly and safely. plenty of people then go on to speed, drink drive, crash, use phones/GPS's/other distractions etc
another common one in the motoring world is that MOT's are pretty much useless, you can get an MOT on your car today and then tomorrow the suspension collapses; still road legal! i often see cars that are advertised as non-running but with an MOT, of course these are still fine to drive on the road!

but on topic again with the licences and tests to drive, the current system by no means ensures people will drive well after the test and adding in a secion on not flattening cyclists, pedestrians etc won't change that for most people either. then again i haven't any ideas my self as to how to do this :sad:
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Maybe all cyclist should take an HGV course.
how about tractors and road rollers etc too, so they know just how much we can't see and where we need to be to see stuff etc?
Cheers Ed

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
...the current system by no means ensures people will drive well after the test and adding in a secion on not flattening cyclists, pedestrians etc won't change that for most people either. then again i haven't any ideas my self as to how to do this :sad:
Cheers Ed

If the driving licence only lasted say three or five years, then another test needs to be taken in order to renew/retain the licence. all driving offences are taken into account when trying to renew/retain your licence and serious offences really should make it much harder to do so. A driving licence should be a well earned privilege, not a right.

I would like to see it, I've got no idea how it could be done, as part of the test, but if you couldn't get a licence without demonstrating you knew how to pass a group of cyclists safely, I reckon a lot of issues could be resolved.

Agree. Its about time. Till today I can sort of guess that 9 out of 10 motorist cannot understand why a cyclist takes primary position.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What if people can't ride a bike, does that preclude them from driving a car. My mum can't ride a bike for example due to coccyx pain (ok she's been driving a car for about 50 years so not especially relevant)
Though if there was a requirement to ride a bike before qualifying to drive, there would have to be exceptions. You'd be into all sorts of discrimination court cases against disabled drivers otherwise. An extended theory test that covers cycling and cyclists, be they alone or in groups, in detail would allow for that exemption.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
With my motorists hat on, should cyclists have to take a test before they are allowed to ride on the road? There are many motorists who would say that would solve a lot of issues.

Taking the moral high ground because you ride a bike just doesn't cut it in "The court of public opinion".

If the driving licence only lasted say three or five years, then another test needs to be taken in order to renew/retain the licence. all driving offences are taken into account when trying to renew/retain your licence and serious offences really should make it much harder to do so. A driving licence should be a well earned privilege, not a right.

100% agree. If only there was the political will to consider introducing it in the UK.

moo

You can teach someone how to overtake safely, but until they've been on the receiving end of a close pass they will never fully apply those lessons out on the road.

If a motorist doesn't have the physical ability to cycle, one could easily place them on a tandem or other suitable bike. The instructor can then give said motorist a taste of cycling through a busy city centre during rush hour.

I'd be in favour of cycling licences if it was required by all licences above it, but only compulsary for cyclists if stopped by an officer for reckless riding. Most cyclsits hold a driving licence. By not making it compulsary, those who don't hold a driving licence can still begin cycling easily.

Throw in a reasonable expiry date of 10 years for all licences.

We have far too many police officers driving around cracking down on minor traffic offences. Give half of these guys an electric powered bike (no speed restriction).

/never going to happen

Top Bottom