should you/we cyclists "expect" a chain to break at some time???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have had three Shimano chains break. I'm beginning to see a (weak) link. Fortunately I carry a chain tool.

SRAM next time I think.

boydj

Legendary Member
Never broken a chain, ever. Look after your chain and if will look after you hopefully!
Good maintenance won't compensate for a faulty sideplate or other manufacturing issue. Hope you carry a chain tool and a joining link 'just in case'.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I always carry a quick link as part of my toolkit & chain tool

+1 to the warning on cheap chain tools. I had one once that wasn't even made of cheese, 1st time I tried it, at home fortunately, the pin extractor piece snapped before it moved the pin at all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never broken a chain, ever. Look after your chain and if will look after you hopefully!
Hope as much as you like - sh*t happens! :okay:

One of the broken chains that I repaired was on a friend's new mountain bike. She had only ridden the bike (gently!) for a few hours before the chain snapped. We were miles from anywhere along the side of Loch Etive in Scotland. It would have been a long trudge back to the van if I had not been able to do the repair. I had the chain fixed in less than 10 minutes.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I always carry a spare link and chain tool but have never had a chain break so have never fixed one. I've always assumed it would be a doddle, but this thread has me worried and seeking out an old bit of chain for some practice!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I always carry a spare link and chain tool but have never had a chain break so have never fixed one. I've always assumed it would be a doddle, but this thread has me worried and seeking out an old bit of chain for some practice!
One thing to watch out for is the alignment of the pin in the breaker and the pin in the chain, if it gets really difficult to turn then they may well be out of line and trying to force it will break the tool. Just back it off half a turn, realign and try again as it should never feel 'solid' when it is pressing correctly on the pin (but it will if you are pressing on the side plate)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Only once. Decades ago. My own fault, I'd bodged the fitting of my (5 speed) chain. I was in the middle of Pembrokeshire.

I walked to a (not very) nearby farm. I ended up getting a lift to the nearest town riding on a trailer behind a tractor, through the beautiful Pembrokeshire countryside, drinking a cup of tea. I borrowed a nail punch and hammer at a garage and fixed it. Without that broken chain I'd have missed out on a memorable day.

I carry spare links and a chain tool now. It's probably the wrong kind of tool and links but they should be enough to ward off the very rare chain rivet fairy.

MarkF

Guru
Never had a chain break, never had a spoke fail and at 52 can count punctures on my fingers, with plenty spare.

Nowadays I don't carry any tools beyond a multi-tool, I rode on a 2 week Euro tour with my cousin, he had us carrying all sorts of "what if"? crap, kg's of tools and spares, his BB failed (no tool), the only problem on the tour. ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Only once. Decades ago. My own fault, I'd bodged the fitting of my (5 speed) chain. I was in the middle of Pembrokeshire.

I walked to a (not very) nearby farm. I ended up getting a lift to the nearest town riding on a trailer behind a tractor, through the beautiful Pembrokeshire countryside, drinking a cup of tea. I borrowed a nail punch and hammer at a garage and fixed it. Without that broken chain I'd have missed out on a memorable day.

I carry spare links and a chain tool now. It's probably the wrong kind of tool and links but they should be enough to ward off the very rare chain rivet fairy.
You may have just invoked said fairy but I've been told she can be warded off by regular 'Mickling' of your chain. :whistle:

Just under 87,000miles for me and I've only had one chain snap (touch wood) on a commuter and I must admit I expected that and had a quick link which meant I still got to a MSc examine on time :okay: Touch wood again, I've never had a chain snap on a big ride but my quicklinks and chain tools have been used by many another :okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've always used KMC chains and never thought I would have one break on me. Last year I went on a ride to Southend and checked my chain for wear beforehand. Less than 0.5%.
Ride over, I was going round Parliament Square in 3-4 lanes of traffic when the chain went. I wasn't even putting much tension on it. These days I try and carry a small chain tool and a spare KMC link.

kiriyama

My shimano chain broke last week. But it was ancient. The previous week I had thought "really should get a new chain" I had a chain tool in my bag that turned out to be absolutly useless. Instead of coasting home in single speed I had to walk a LONG way home...

400bhp

Guru
Had 2 break in last 6 years, Very fortunately they have broken within yards of my house.

Both were KMC chains IIRC.

U

User6179

So, I've got a new chain and cassette ready to fit. It's an Ultegra chain (oh, posh!). Should I take it back to Halfords??

It was only around £12

The Ultegra cn-6600 chain seems to be better than the 6701 , never had a breakage and had 5000 miles out of one and the cassette was still ok for another 3000 miles after that , they are for triples but cant see a reason not to use on doubles.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CNb06LGwg8UCFSzMtAodfgYAtw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Top Bottom