should you/we cyclists "expect" a chain to break at some time???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Practice chain repairs on an old chain at home in comfort rather than trying to teach yourself at the roadside 1,400 ft up on a moor in heavy rain [whatever].
I tried my cheap chain tool on a piece of old chain last night. The tool didn't break but the rivet stayed put[*]. I've ordered a better Park Tool chain tool today just to be on the safe side.

[*] I had everything lined up but the rivet wouldn't budge. I didn't want to force the tool too much in case I broke it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my topeak multi tool saved a club mate with a snapped chain, as did the spare super link i had too. i've never broken a chain yet…

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 3663252, member: 9609"]Aye, you should never speak of the devil - last summer I was showing off my Armadillo tyres to my brother that I had not had a puncture in 2000 mile - I kid you not, 2 punctures in the following couple of weeks!
[/QUOTE]
True, that.

I had a funny dream last night in which I kept getting pestered for 'favours' by gorgeous, rich, female cyclists ... :whistle:

(What will happen now is that I will be propositioned by a penniless, fat, hairy, couch potato named Michael! :laugh:)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never had a chain break in all my years and miles of cycling.
However there is a chain breaking tool on my multitool I carry.
I've got one on my multi-tool - I should practise what to do as I wouldn't have a clue and it's better to know rather than have to work it out at the road-side..... bumbles off to Google!

andyfraser

Über Member
My Park Tool chain tool arrived and I've now had a practice on an old chain. It took some messing around and effort to get it going but once it started moving it was quite easy. I just have to get up the nerve to replace the chain and cassette on my road bike now. Luckily it's not due for a few more weeks.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We had a chain breakage on today's club run. Well maintained winter bicycle of a very experienced (mechanically) cyclists. It happens.

I've got one on my multi-tool - I should practise what to do as I wouldn't have a clue and it's better to know rather than have to work it out at the road-side..... bumbles off to Google!

Good idea. The screw that pushes out a pin in the chain needs an allen key. Most multi-tool cannot remove the allen key to use on the screw unless you carry a separate allen key. Topeak has a detached allen key. Interesting conundrum when you riding alone.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've only ever broken two chains, both a long time ago, one on a 6 speed system and one on a fixed, eighth chain, both chains were old and well worn. These days I replace chains every twelve months. I'm in the habit of always carrying a short section of chain, a power link and a chain tool.

bpsmith

Veteran
Good idea. The screw that pushes out a pin in the chain needs an allen key. Most multi-tool cannot remove the allen key to use on the screw unless you carry a separate allen key. Topeak has a detached allen key. Interesting conundrum when you riding alone.
If you have tyre levers built in to the tool, then they quite often hide the Allen key for the chain tool behind there.

I think there is a TMN for me!

:smile:

This is good advice. I used my Topeak Hexus II to change my chain at home last night. Worked really well, except I needed a separate allen key to operate it. I had visions of flagging down another rider to borrow their 4mm allen key. Anyway, a quick google this morning showed me where the spare 4mm key is hidden in one of the tyre levers. And also that there was a chain hook that I completely missed.

Top Bottom