should you/we cyclists "expect" a chain to break at some time???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tojo

Über Member
Good maintenance won't compensate for a faulty sideplate or other manufacturing issue. Hope you carry a chain tool and a joining link 'just in case'.

I agree with this as I have not actually had a chain snap myself in years of riding , but a mate phoned me a couple of weeks ago as he had just got a couple of miles and his chain snapped and asked if I had a 9sp chain, anyway I did, he came over and it was a failed quick link plate, I measured the chain and it was nearly new, things do still pass QC even in these days of CNC manufacturing....:eek:

Last edited:
About 12,000 miles and had one chain snap. A SRAM chain, while commuting. Not one with sufficient mileage to justify the snap. Haven't had an issue with other SRAM chains since, though I mostly run KMC now.

I just carry a spare quicklink so I could do an emergency roadside repair if it happened again.

Isn't it simpler to change the chain once every couple of years?
How much do you cycle? Or how long do your chains last? I
The Ultegra cn-6600 chain seems to be better than the 6701 , never had a breakage and had 5000 miles out of one and the cassette was still ok for another 3000 miles after that , they are for triples but cant see a reason not to use on doubles.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CNb06LGwg8UCFSzMtAodfgYAtw&gclsrc=aw.ds
I've already got a 6701. But thanks, I'll remember for next time.

I've had a look, so far I have used Shimano on the road bike (tiagra and 105) and a Clarks on my folder, and they have stretched but not broken, so I will stick with what I've bought.

Drago

Legendary Member
Isn't it simpler to change the chain once every couple of years?
or every 1200-1500 miles in my case when they get to .75. Only a lightweight weakling can smugly observe a chain will never snap - a man weighing over 1/8 of a ton who can exert over 1/3 ton of pressure and who has actually bent cheap cranks before can very conscievably snap a chain, which is a good reason to be rigorous with the pre ride checks.

U

User6179

How much do you cycle? Or how long do your chains last? I

I've already got a 6701. But thanks, I'll remember for next time.

I've had a look, so far I have used Shimano on the road bike (tiagra and 105) and a Clarks on my folder, and they have stretched but not broken, so I will stick with what I've bought.

Have did about 25000 miles in last 3 years so have used a lot of chains , 3000 miles is when I change them on average ( summer use), with Tiagra cassette I change the chain and cassette at same time but if Ultegra cassette I will get 2-3 chains to the one cassette.

Bodhbh

Guru
Twice - one outright snapped once. Another time I had to break one after it got jammed between the frame and the chainring.

At the time I was getting alot of drivetrain components off eBay and mixing and matching stuff with unknown levels of wear. A recipe for problems and a false economy!

I am neither a long distance cyclist, nor the type who leaves their bike chain rusty or untended. But a couple of years ago, I broke the chain on my MTB and was left with a couple of miles walk home as I never thought I would ever, in a million years, break a chain. So I didnt have a powerlink or a chain splitter.

But when I looked at the chain closely, several of the sideplates of the chain were cracked, so even if I had been able to put in a powerlink and limp the bike home, it would almost certainly have broken somewhere else before long.

Next time you are tinkering with your bike, really clean the chain and take a good careful look at it. You might just be surprised that it is about to fail......

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Good maintenance won't compensate for a faulty sideplate or other manufacturing issue. Hope you carry a chain tool and a joining link 'just in case'.
Well, I never have but I'm thinking it's time I did after reading this thread. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The KMC chain that broke in Parliament Square was the first in about 30,000 miles. It wasn't at all worn twelve hours before because I checked the chain stretch and found it to be less than 0.5%. Unfortunately, I had recently taken the bike for a "Gear Service" at CycleSurgery, Shepherds Bush, London, a few days previously. On the ride, the chain ground continuously on the front derailler cage, fell off etc. It gave up the ghost about sixty five miles later. I can't blame KMC for that.

Do I hold a grudge against CycleSurgery, Shepherds Bush? Yes, absolutely!:evil:

'(Practice chain repairs on an old chain at home in comfort rather than trying to teach yourself at the roadside 1,400 ft up on a moor in heavy rain [whatever].)
This is good advice. I used my Topeak Hexus II to change my chain at home last night. Worked really well, except I needed a separate allen key to operate it. I had visions of flagging down another rider to borrow their 4mm allen key. Anyway, a quick google this morning showed me where the spare 4mm key is hidden in one of the tyre levers. And also that there was a chain hook that I completely missed.

Now I am ready for the next emergency (fingers crossed it doesn't happen!)

Top Bottom