should you/we cyclists "expect" a chain to break at some time???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never had one go completely, though I caught a broken side plate while doing a pre ride check. A powerlink and chain tool are very useful items to carry.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Like a few of the posters above, I've never snapped a chain. I do however carry a chain tool and spare links with me since meeting a group down a remote lane having to fix a broken chain on one of their bikes and realising how long the walk could be if the same happened to me, especially as some of the places I ride have no mobile phone signal.

In 8 years I have broken 2 chains, both on secondhand bikes I had just bought, 1st day out on both. 1st time I had no tools or quick link, 4 mile walk to bike shop. 2nd time I was prepared with tool and quick links. I have fixed other peoples chains 3 times.

U

User6179

Cracked 2 Shimano 6701 chains on the side plate but made it home both times and lost a Shimano 8 speed chain once , went to pedal going down a 1000ft climb and my chain had vanished ^_^

Only a Shimano one, so that doesn't count as they are obviously designed to break. I carry spare quick-links now. 9 speed as that is what wife rides. I hope they would do for 10 speed as well. Don't see why not as they are only a tad bigger.

andrewsdad

Tbh Iv never actually broke a chain , BUT, I was out on a ride last yr the bike over shifted and the chain came off the big ring Went through a gap in crankset and it wouldn't come back out , so I had to walk a fair bit ( 3 ml ) .

If I had a chain splitter I could have split the chain and released it and rejoined it , so from that date I always carry a chain splitter just in case , but no, never broken one
I have my, spare tube, multi tool, punture repair kit, wet proofs, over shoes and several other "in case" stuff. Now I need a splitter! Im gonna need a bigger back pack lol

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've never broken a chain but still carry a link splitter. Good job too as last week the trike dropped its chain as I backpedalled when setting off and the front chain overshot the freewheel and got stuck between that and the dolley (drive) chain/sprocket. The only way to get it out was to remove the short drive chain and that is a single speed one so has no 'quicklink' (its only about 2 feet long and takes the drive from the geared hub to the rear axle by a sprocket that is welded to the flange as the rear axle has no mounting point for a rear mech)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Some of the chain splitters on multi tools are rubbish, utterly useless on modern chains where the pins are a tight fit. If you have one, check it out on an old section of chain before you rely on it by the side of the road. And what only just works in a warm garage probably won't by the roadside when your hands are wet and freezing cold.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some of the chain splitters on multi tools are rubbish, utterly useless on modern chains where the pins are a tight fit. If you have one, check it out on an old section of chain before you rely on it by the side of the road. And what only just works in a warm garage probably won't by the roadside when your hands are wet and freezing cold.
That's a good point. I've just bought a multi tool with chain splitter to make up a lightweight pack for shorter rides (I usually carry way too much stuff) and haven't tested it yet. Will do so.:thumbsup:

veloman

I always carry a chain tool and quick links. Broken numerous mountain bike chains and a chain on road bike too. Yes, I buy good quality chains and maintain them too, just unlucky I guess.

Avoid the walk, it is not why we ride.

Top Bottom