should you/we cyclists "expect" a chain to break at some time???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As a young guy I cycled a lot.
As a young man I "commuted"
Then a break and got back into it a few years ago.
In all those rides I have never had a chain break.
So..............
should I go prepared ???
If so what should I take in the saddle bag ??

uclown2002

Guru
40,000 miles and I've had only one break, shortly after being fitted by lbs.
chain tool and quick link.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'Should' you ... Well, do you like doing long walks with your bike? Do you always ride somewhere with phone reception? Can you afford to spend a lot of money on emergency rail fares or taxis? (And so on ...)

Broken chains are show-stoppers if you can't fix them. I have fixed chains for other riders on about 5 occasions, and seen other riders fix their own chains or have them fixed by someone else on another 4 or 5 occasions.

So ... risk a lot of hassle OR carry a chain tool, a suitable quick link, and the knowledge to know what to do. (Practice chain repairs on an old chain at home in comfort rather than trying to teach yourself at the roadside 1,400 ft up on a moor in heavy rain [whatever].)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've never managed to snap a chain in my life. However, much of that time I was on a 5 ring cassette with a sturdier chain. These days I keep a multitool and a couple of power links along with the puncture repair stuff with me whenever I go further than walking distance. Just in case.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In over fifty years I've only ever had one chain break and that was my own fault. The day before I'd added an extra link using a crap chain tool and rushing the job, damaging the plate in the process. That was the one that went as I'd fitted it next to the quick link.

jim55

Guru
Tbh Iv never actually broke a chain , BUT, I was out on a ride last yr the bike over shifted and the chain came off the big ring Went through a gap in crankset and it wouldn't come back out , so I had to walk a fair bit ( 3 ml ) .

If I had a chain splitter I could have split the chain and released it and rejoined it , so from that date I always carry a chain splitter just in case , but no, never broken one

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was out on a ride with @potsy once and his derailleur bust. We had the tool and quick link with us and fashioned his bike into a single speed. Got him the last 20 miles or so home.
I have also had a chain break when the a side plate has failed. I have then fixed it with tool and quick link. So although I don't expect it, going prepared has been beneficial.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never had a chain break in all my years and miles of cycling.
However there is a chain breaking tool on my multitool I carry.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I was out on a ride with @potsy once and his derailleur bust. We had the tool and quick link with us and fashioned his bike into a single speed. Got him the last 20 miles or so home.
I have also had a chain break when the a side plate has failed. I have then fixed it with tool and quick link. So although I don't expect it, going prepared has been beneficial.
TBF ive only ever snapped a chain racing.

sackville d

Veteran
The Blackburn Toolmanator 2 has a handy little chain tool attachment that works very well. One of those and some KMC links should see you alright (with a bit of practice too as @ColinJ said)
blackburn_outil_manator_2_vrvbike_6e3.jpg

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The only time I've snapped a chain was years ago before I knew better on a mountain bike that had had zero maintainence other than a squirt of lube every now and again.
So now I've said that I'd better go and find my chain tool and quick link 'cause you know what will happen on my next ride don't you:laugh:

Top Bottom