Shouty cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I got a bit shouty when I returned to cycling after recovering from a big injury following being knocked off my bike in Feb 2018.
I found it hard to ignore the fact that drivers didn't seem to notice or care how much risk they were inflicting! I soon realised they didn't care and were not interested. I had to stop challenging drivers because it was only me getting wound up and I was likely to end up having to defend myself against some aggressive a'hole.
I am much calmer once I learned to let it go. It's not right, but at least I get to continue riding.

I too let it go, no shouting. I sometimes Jump when frightened. Happened the other day when a blue rinse passed me within inches, I yelled out fark off before I could even stop myself, waved my arm and shook my head before managing to go into my zen state. The amusing thing was, every car after her gave me a very wide berth.

Kids though. I've had the, why is that man not wearing a helmet comment. Heh, heh, over to dad on that one, he can explain it. I've also had, that man's got a fat belly. That amused me no end as it clearly embarrassed the dad big time. I should say I don't have a fat belly, I did have a slight paunch then though. I never got to hear his answer as he ushered his child away quickly.

KneesUp

Guru
Yay for junior @winjim !

I'm not shouty, but I do talk to drivers if, for example, they've passed too close and I pull up next to them at the next lights. Most motorists get aggressive in response, no matter how polite you are. It must happen a lot in Sheffield. I talked to a chap in an Amey van the other day and he asked if I was the bloke that "was ranting the other week" - I wasn't, but if there was someone 'the other week' it rather suggests his driving is consistently bobbins.

As to kids - ours once got annoyed because we had 5live on one Saturday afternoon when she was four or five. She was not and is not one for 'bad language' She stormed upstairs to her room and shouted down "I can still hear that bloody radio"

I had a very impressive 3 or 4 year old who, in a clear and calm voice asked me to put my dog on a lead because he didn't like dogs. The dog wasn't anywhere near him and wasn't likely to head that way unless he had dog biscuits. He knows 4 year olds are quite likely to pursue him, lean on him, pull his ears and tail and don't normally have dog biscuits so there's no point in putting up with it. However, the request was impossible to refuse coming in such a clear and innocent way and the hound was duly called over and shackled until we were in the clear.

KneesUp

Guru
I had a very impressive 3 or 4 year old who, in a clear and calm voice asked me to put my dog on a lead because he didn't like dogs. The dog wasn't anywhere near him and wasn't likely to head that way unless he had dog biscuits. He knows 5 year olds are quite likely to pursue him, lean on him, pull his ears and tail and don't normally have dog biscuits so there's no point in putting up with it. However, the request was impossible to refuse coming in such a clear and innocent way and the hound was duly called over and shackled until we were in the clear.
Good stuff - the kid was a dog magnet as a toddler and so, so many times I've had to pick her up because the Hound of the Baskervilles (relative size-wise) was descending upon her, only to be told by the owner "he's just being friendly". Used to drive me mad - imagine if as an adult you were supposed to be charmed by predators half your height and upwards running up to you, licking you and trying to climb up you.

Good stuff - the kid was a dog magnet as a toddler and so, so many times I've had to pick her up because the Hound of the Baskervilles (relative size-wise) was descending upon her, only to be told by the owner "he's just being friendly". Used to drive me mad - imagine if as an adult you were supposed to be charmed by predators half your height and upwards running up to you, licking you and trying to climb up you.
Yeah, I tend to keep mine away from kids for exactly that reason. This kid was ace though. Even his mother told him the dog wasn't going to come near him but he was adamant and didn't stop looking at me until the hound was shackled.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Law near me is to always keep the dogs on a leash in public. A good law.
Meanwhile, the vegans near me have been putting up these billboards:
th?id=OIP.k9Vgd3xB5Ert_CCmW11GLAHaEK&w=250&h=160&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

Answer: Because the dog won't necessarily turn aggressive and become 660 pounds of tasty pork.

KneesUp

Guru
Law near me is to always keep the dogs on a leash in public. A good law.
Meanwhile, the vegans near me have been putting up these billboards:
View attachment 478885
Answer: Because the dog won't necessarily turn aggressive and become 660 pounds of tasty pork.
I thought it was because one was more efficient at turning stuff we don't like to eat, or can't eat into something we can eat - like a battery for protein and carbs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yay for junior @winjim !

I'm not shouty, but I do talk to drivers if, for example, they've passed too close and I pull up next to them at the next lights. Most motorists get aggressive in response, no matter how polite you are. It must happen a lot in Sheffield. I talked to a chap in an Amey van the other day and he asked if I was the bloke that "was ranting the other week" - I wasn't, but if there was someone 'the other week' it rather suggests his driving is consistently bobbins.

As to kids - ours once got annoyed because we had 5live on one Saturday afternoon when she was four or five. She was not and is not one for 'bad language' She stormed upstairs to her room and shouted down "I can still hear that bloody radio"
I do something similar, if I'm overtaken by a car that has a light out on the back and it stops at lights I will knock on the window and inform the driver but I always tell them "It's a fixed penalty if the Coppers stop you mate" seems to flummox them a bit especially if you add "It gives them a reason to pull you over you know"

Top Bottom