Shouty cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got shouted at by a driver today for being too far from the kerb (I think) which was odd as he was passing a parked car and approaching on my side of the road, and I'd seen the potential conflict and deliberately slowed to allow him plenty of space to return to his side of the road.

My approach these days is to smile and wave. It keeps me calm and zen-like, while annoying them far more that anything I could say.

KneesUp

Guru
I got shouted at by a driver today for being too far from the kerb (I think) which was odd as he was passing a parked car and approaching on my side of the road, and I'd seen the potential conflict and deliberately slowed to allow him plenty of space to return to his side of the road.

My approach these days is to smile and wave. It keeps me calm and zen-like, while annoying them far more that anything I could say.
Do not ever attempt to blow a kiss to neanderthal looking males in cars. I did it once when I was driving as I thought it might wind him up a bit, but he went absolutely nuts. Fortunately I did it just as I undertook him to leave the motorway he was staying on.

Do not ever attempt to blow a kiss to neanderthal looking males in cars. I did it once when I was driving as I thought it might wind him up a bit, but he went absolutely nuts. Fortunately I did it just as I undertook him to leave the motorway he was staying on.

I'm not generally in the habit of blowing kisses to males (or indeed females) in cars, but thanks for the tip...

KneesUp

Guru
I'm not generally in the habit of blowing kisses to males (or indeed females) in cars, but thanks for the tip...
Neither am I, I just had a sixth sense that he really wouldn't like it, and he'd been driving like dangerous eejit for the past 5 miles - we were pretty much the only two cars in sight, and he'd been overtaking me, cutting in front of me and then matching my speed - stuff like that.

Neither am I, I just had a sixth sense that he really wouldn't like it, and he'd been driving like dangerous eejit for the past 5 miles - we were pretty much the only two cars in sight, and he'd been overtaking me, cutting in front of me and then matching my speed - stuff like that.

It always amazes me how easy it is to wind someone up by doing something so friendly. I guess they want a confrontation which is why they're being passive aggressive.

I got that impression with todays driver: sometimes I feel they've had an argument and want a soft target.

The very strange thing is that this often happens in this housing estate: I get more close passes and snarls/horns there than months of riding all over the region.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I do something similar, if I'm overtaken by a car that has a light out on the back and it stops at lights I will knock on the window and inform the driver but I always tell them "It's a fixed penalty if the Coppers stop you mate" seems to flummox them a bit especially if you add "It gives them a reason to pull you over you know"
I often do this, kind of like a public service... "Do you know that 1/2/all of your brake lights aren't working? You really need to get them fixed."
People are usually surprised by the helpful, non-aggressive suggestion....

Sixmile

Veteran
I was approaching a a couple with two children on a cycle path, one of the children said in an exasperated voice " daddy, daddy, he isn't wearing a helmet" why did this make me feel guilty? I always tell the grandchildren to wear their helmets, but they don't take much notice, maybe because I don't always wear one, I am happy for them to make up their own mind as they get older,

Last week I was approaching a couple (possibly grandparents) with two young children on a cycle path too, both of the children shouted separately in surprise 'there's my daddy' and pointed at me with the same bemused look that I must've had. I mean, they were convinced.

Yeah, we have a German in a mini in my office. He can't carry a tray of hot drinks from the coffee machine!!! Go figure.....

The slightly strange thing is that it is mostly just that combination. Men in Minis aren't a problem, young guys are fine, and older women in a Mercedes generally give me room.

Mind you, driving a Mini in the office is a step too far...

Top Bottom