Shoved off bike by double decker bus !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Well, 10 months or thereabouts later, concluded the whole episode with a settlement from Stagecoaches insurers.
Personally, i have little time for claims companies, i don't like a lot of what they do on principle, so i approached the insurers myself, looking for a fairly painless and quick resolution, put the whole thing to bed.
This i realise may work against me, a solicitor may have been able to expand the whole thing and get more, but i held that in reserve in case their offer was derisory, or they just dragged their heels.
So anyway..£650 settlement (they started at £500, i declined, they immediately upped it). I'm satisfied with that, its the price of the bike when it was new, the bike's back on the road anyway, i can give it a bit of TLC or put the money towards a new bike....which i've already agonised over for the last month or so, and i'm no closer now :wacko:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Don't feel an ounce of guilt.

If he loses his job, he only has himself to blame.

Linford

I sat through a court casea couple of months ago for a personal injury caused by a taxi driver cutting across the lanes on a roundabout and hitting a car in another lane. Compo award = £1500, fee's submitted by the ambulance chasers = £16k - The judge threw that back, and they eventually awarded legal fees of £11k.

I would have personally claimed for the trauma of being kidnapped as well as a new bike ;)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Jeez gbb, must've missed this one first time 'round, sorry to hear about the aggro you've suffered. Whereabouts in the 'Boro did this happen?
Hiya Browser...Oundle Road, headed west out of town, towards Longueville School, where the old texaco filling station used to be....just before the Gordon Arms.
Well, there were no injuries worth talking about, just a couple scrapes, damage to the bike was real but not terminal...such a shame when it all comes from a stupid decision by a driver.

I sat through a court casea couple of months ago for a personal injury caused by a taxi driver cutting across the lanes on a roundabout and hitting a car in another lane. Compo award = £1500, fee's submitted by the ambulance chasers = £16k - The judge threw that back, and they eventually awarded legal fees of £11k.

I would have personally claimed for the trauma of being kidnapped as well as a new bike ;)
Thats exactly why i didnt want to go through solicitors...it's just plain criminal itself what they claim and i don't want to be party to it, even if hey'd doubled or tripled what i could have got (and i don't doubt for one second i could have got more).
We're all paying the price in our insurance for their extortionate bills...nah, that's it, i feel a rant coming on ^_^

Linford

The way which the law firms operate is down to the way they are legislated.

They all work the system, and it woud be for the judge to put a fair value on recompense for your experience at the hands of this goon. The fact that the other side was arguing the toss over a sum which is likely to be far less than the compulsory excess which Stagecoach would have incurred. I'd not pull any punches (was that a stagecoach driver in the Bristol attack the other week ? )

Perhaps a hefty slap might encourage them to put a few more resources into funding some anger management therapy for their drivers

I'd leave the legislation and comp award down to the judge. They will either accept it or bounce it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife's compensation for whiplash was quite small, the legal fees were more (and that's with the insurance company handling it).

Hope N+1 is on it's way

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
The way which the law firms operate is down to the way they are legislated.

They all work the system, and it woud be for the judge to put a fair value on recompense for your experience at the hands of this goon. The fact that the other side was arguing the toss over a sum which is likely to be far less than the compulsory excess which Stagecoach would have incurred. I'd not pull any punches (was that a stagecoach driver in the Bristol attack the other week ? )

Perhaps a hefty slap might encourage them to put a few more resources into funding some anger management therapy for their drivers

I'd leave the legislation and comp award down to the judge. They will either accept it or bounce it.

No doubting that, the punitive side of big claims doubtless make them look closer...the downside is we all pay the price, the general public.
Stupid,and yet its not...we all sit bemoaning the cost of insurance, the litigation culture that's evolved...and i refuse to join in, knowing that my stance (if you want to call it that) won't do a thing to make it any better. I just feel better not partaking of it all.
I'm happy with the outcome...:thumbsup:

dodgy

Only just seen this thread for the first time, glad you got it resolved.

Might I suggest you try to reward the honesty and integrity of your witness in some way? Nothing flash or inappropriate, couple of tickets to the cinema or something.

Just an idea.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Only just seen this thread for the first time, glad you got it resolved.

Might I suggest you try to reward the honesty and integrity of your witness in some way? Nothing flash or inappropriate, couple of tickets to the cinema or something.

Just an idea.
It's dragged on so long, nearly a year, i/m rather ashamed to say i hadn't though about that side of things. He didn't have to attend court, the driver pleaded guilty....but i think i'll enquire with the Police, see if i can trace him. A thankyou at the very least is in order. Thanks for the nudge :thumbsup:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Two Points...
1. How the hell did I miss the original post
2. And where the f8ck was my PM Gbb informing me about said event huh? (mind you things turnd out ok without me :blush:)
And 3. Good result Gbb and my collegues in the force!

Hiya Browser...Oundle Road, headed west out of town, towards Longueville School, where the old texaco filling station used to be....just before the Gordon Arms.
Well, there were no injuries worth talking about, just a couple scrapes, damage to the bike was real but not terminal...such a shame when it all comes from a stupid decision by a driver.

Oundle Road, near the old Texaco, Really nasty, twisty bit of road that with blind spots every, errm, every, errr, aaaaactually it's dead straight......................for about 1.5 miles!!!!!!
Easy to see why the bus driver misjudged the pass :huh:

Linford

No doubting that, the punitive side of big claims doubtless make them look closer...the downside is we all pay the price, the general public.
Stupid,and yet its not...we all sit bemoaning the cost of insurance, the litigation culture that's evolved...and i refuse to join in, knowing that my stance (if you want to call it that) won't do a thing to make it any better. I just feel better not partaking of it all.
I'm happy with the outcome...:thumbsup:

Fundamentally right to do what you feel OK about as you have to feel OK about that :thumbsup:

I had an impatient driver try to take the door off my A-class merc last summer when I was strapping a 1 1/2 year old baby into a car seat. The door wouldn't shut properly afterwards as she bent it back on the hinges and as we look after the baby a lot, I decided it was too unsafe to risk driving it. The driver accepted liability (she could do little else as she drove into a parked car) and my insurers at the time (The AA) asked me if I needed a replacement car whilst mine was being sorted - which I did.

As the merc is classed as a 'small premium' model, they took it off me and gave me this . They then messed around dragging it out for 4 weeks which was very nice, but the car was juicy, and I wanted mine back ( :whistle: )

If you think your claim was expensive, they charged the other side £139 per day (plus VAT) for the use of that car.

The all screw each other over - every single insurance co, and the only way it will change is these practices are legislated out.

The more people mitigate the insurance co's practices by not playing the system (which runs into millions of claims each year), the less pressing it is to resolve and will remain a festering sore until they say enough is enough.

I'd like to think I have done by bit ;) in bringing it to the govs attention that the insurance co's are taking the piss, and its customers are having to bear the brunt in increased premiums through no fault of their own (as it is the victims who make the claims)

Top Bottom