Show me your chopper??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChopperGav

Über Member
P1040046.JPG
Show me your old Raleigh choppers
Two more. Fizzy Lemon is mine Quick silver is a mates now converted to 5 speed.

ChopperGav

Über Member
Frame is fine but a polo seat conversion is available so I beleive for the 'Chopper purist'!
Your quite right, my mate has a purple Mk3 with Mk2 style seat with skyway wheels too & looks pretty good I must say.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
No when you look where the bottom bracket they have put an extra piece of metal to make it more stronger but I think it destroys the cool look of the chopper also the shaping of the tubes is bad.
I have seen the seat conversion and it does look acceptable. In pure technical terms the Mk3 is far supieror to the Mk1 and 2, even if it does not look so cool.

OP
OP
Paulwho100

Paulwho100

if its stuck in the frame, as they did, plenty of penetrating oil some lights taps and a bit of twisting and swearing!

If the oil getsinto the joint then it should eventually shift - you could try a little heat on the tubes as well, these can be a real swine to move. Persistence pays off.^_^
I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and have just applied a little bit of heat and it is still stuck are you sure this is the only way to get it out??

ChopperGav

Über Member
I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and have just applied a little bit of heat and it is still stuck are you sure this is the only way to get it out??
My Mk1 was so badly rusted in I had to cut the sissy bar off & while using plenty of heat clamped the stub off the bar in a vice & with a bit of back & forwards motion it came out. Tubes were full of rust & in the end I had to cut out & replace the rear tubes, not for the faint hearted.

ChopperGav

Über Member
Better brakes, lighter stiffer frame, better standard of finish... As Ive said it's not to everyone taste - they do ride more responsivley too. A much safer bike in most respects too. I like all styles of the Chopper, maybe barring the Sprint.
Standard of finish. not so sure but you do see an awful lot of Mk3's with the rear sissy clamps broken which is good as it means cheap frames for all.^_^I wouldn't mind one for my daily commute to work, as you say better brakes, lighter, etc.I would have to modify it though, seat bars & gears. As for the sprint yes please, well frame anyway, Mk2 tall frame oh yes.

ChopperGav

Über Member
Love It. 5 speeds!!!!!!! wow.
Oh yes, 5 speed just count them. I am going 5 speed with my Mk1 also a genuine 3+2!

OP
OP
Paulwho100

Paulwho100

My Mk1 was so badly rusted in I had to cut the sissy bar off & while using plenty of heat clamped the stub off the bar in a vice & with a bit of back & forwards motion it came out. Tubes were full of rust & in the end I had to cut out & replace the rear tubes, not for the faint hearted.
Love to see pictures of them.

Attachments

• IMG00134.jpg
    IMG00134.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG00131.jpg
    IMG00131.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG00133.jpg
    IMG00133.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 104
Top Bottom