Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
E84B1DFF-24DF-4465-86F1-86671C28EC90.jpeg

Staring out of the cab window, waiting for my trailer to be loaded.
Two hours so far. That’s my 105 cassette & chain paid for. Another hour and I can upgrade to Ultegra
:becool:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Despite there being not much depth of snow in PE28 country most of it ended up on this road following yesterdays brisk wind. So after a false start and having to change diesel filters on the JCB Loadall I eventually shifted some snow.
View attachment 398244 View attachment 398245
Nice toy!! ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
Fibre optic sensor (emitter side) that detects product too high in punnets as they pass through the machine is damaged, not unusual, the lead is thin and a bit exposed.
You can see the red light at the eye end and look carefully you can see light bleeding out of the damaged bit further along...that reduces the light received back at the controller...thus making it useless.
20180316_101407.jpg
Trace the lead back to its amplifier with the red and green indicators...
20180316_101441(0).jpg

Feed new fibre optic cable through...
20180316_101454.jpg

1 hours work..nice and straight forward, sensor now working.
Modded the cable routing to help prevent it happening again.

gbb

Legendary Member
Looking at the horror photo above amazes me...and yet doesn' surprise me.
Mate of mine has a Piaggio I think with a 200cc lump in it. He's had problems and had all and sundry looking at and working on it. Then he broke down, had it recovered, then was told the variator had come loose...in other words whoever did it didn't do it up properly.
Now he's had more problems and apparently someone has been playing with the electrics and frigged about with the position of the fuse hidden under the seat.

Scooters are funny things, they'e not that complicated, I even tinkered with my sons Peugeot...but that relative simplicity encourages folk to 'have a go'...with occasional bodging thrown in.

midlife

Guru

Just out of curiosity who are you machining them for?

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Just out of curiosity who are you machining them for?
I'm doing them for a student project at work. I have already told them that I will not be responsible for any adverse effects due to their tinkering but in all honesty, I think they'll be fine.

keithmac

Guru
Looking at the horror photo above amazes me...and yet doesn' surprise me.
Mate of mine has a Piaggio I think with a 200cc lump in it. He's had problems and had all and sundry looking at and working on it. Then he broke down, had it recovered, then was told the variator had come loose...in other words whoever did it didn't do it up properly.
Now he's had more problems and apparently someone has been playing with the electrics and frigged about with the position of the fuse hidden under the seat.

Scooters are funny things, they'e not that complicated, I even tinkered with my sons Peugeot...but that relative simplicity encourages folk to 'have a go'...with occasional bodging thrown in.

You'd be surprised on how complicated the new scooters can be, we now have ASR (traction control)/ ABS/ Stop-Start systems which are stater motorless, full electronic fuel injection etc.

Sounds like your mate has a GT200 which are nice and simple to work on!. If the variator has not been clamped up properly there's a few parts that should have been replaced as they are keyed to the crankshaft.

Every man and his dog has a go at fixing them and we get sloppy seconds unfortunately!..

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
First job was to answer a question about the melting temperature of a tin-zinc alloy so dug out this publication, well worth the 2/6 we paid for it.

Bfdx5mm.jpg

Just a tad below 200C, done.

2iP74Vb.jpg

Then some emails and some tinkering with Powerpoint, then down to the applications area to test some solder pastes.

Printed the paste onto some circuit boards with an automatic printer:

DeqZdRQ.jpg

I had a few to evaluate so just a short print run of ten boards, plus a few extras which were going to be assembled to check the soldering quality.

The majority of electronic assemblies are currently made this way, the solder is printed onto the board using a stencil in the form of a paste, it's about 50% by volume solder powder, the other half is flux.

ueK7TZj.jpg

Then I measured the volume of the solder deposits using a Koh Young SPI (Solder Paste Inspection) system, this does the measurements automatically, I exported the data to sort out later in the week.

I placed components onto a few of the pasted boards using a pick & place robot.

xsNCnOR.jpg

Some chip resistors, some QFPs, nothing too challenging today- just a quick evaluation to check a new manufacturing process.

dwkpiVi.jpg

Then it was time to break out the soldering iron (all the soldering is done in a single step in a big oven)

4yL0jmE.jpg

Afterwards I photographed some of the joints, cleaned the post-soldering (flux) residues off using a big dishwasher. Tomorrow I'll finish it off and write it up if there aren't too many interruptions.

Top Bottom