Show us your crap cycling infrastructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I spotted this the last time I was at Stratford. This is the former Olympic Village, so they had every chance to get this right.
http://tinyurl.com/ocazx8p
So they dump you off the pavement into a too narrow cycle lane, which according to the street sign is illegal to cycle on. WTF?
stratford cycle path.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-24_22-19-4.png
    upload_2015-7-24_22-19-4.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 33

Onthedrops

Veteran
No piccies i'm afraid but I can tell you that the cycle lanes round here are terrible! Badly rutted, potholed and everyone expects you to ride in them. A bit difficult on a road bike to say the least, especially when riding downhill.

Re Stratford, it's possibly the intention was to say cycling on the pavement after that point isn't allowed. In which case they should have used a different sign such as the blue shared use cycle/pedestrian sign with a red line through it. As to the cycle markings on the road, I wouldn't see that as a cycle lane as such, but road markings to simply show cyclists they're supposed to come off the shared use path and then share the road. I've seen that in a few places.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
[QUOTE 3817572, member: 9609"]Here's another one, part of the NCN1 just south of Berwick upon tweed - this is like the A1 of national cycleways. (@Fnaar )
I don't actually mind using stuff like this, I often use bridleways and cross country paths, and on a long cycle ride I quite enjoy getting off and walking a little bit. But when it is part of the cycling infrastructure you don't expect cows and mud.
t14124_zps868b319a.jpg

(and they are not wearing high viz so there is a danger of crashing into them link)[/QUOTE]
Not all the national cycle infrastructure is tarmaced flat lanes/roads/paths

Here in south wales part of the national network is canal towpaths and due to the habitats, plants, etc etc the route has to be kept as natural as possible, so its got grass, tree roots, ruts and ridges the whole shamonka. A new stretch of track has been layed and because it goes through common land it has been over seeded with natural grasses

jowwy

[QUOTE 3817608, member: 9609"]I do sort of expect them to be suitable for riding a road bike on before they can be classed as a cycleway.[/QUOTE]
That might well be true - but you cant drive lorries on all roads, so does that mean you cant call it a road????

Not everyone rides a road bik, theres cross/mtb/tourer/hybrid etc that can still use those grassed muddy sections

Glow worm

Legendary Member
There's loads of these belters around here.....

upload_2015-7-25_16-46-21.png

About 12 yards of complete waste of effing time and tarmac. The real point of this design of course is to reinforce the belief that cycling and the needs of cyclists mean nothing compared to those of motorists.

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's loads of these belters around here.....

View attachment 97622

About 12 yards of complete waste of effing time and tarmac. The real point of this design of course is to reinforce the belief that cycling and the needs of cyclists mean nothing compared to those of motorists.
Is there a right turn to the edge of that picture?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Is there a right turn to the edge of that picture?

It's a crazy layout. The 'safe' cycle facility means you have to cross two whole roads instead of one lane were you to just carry on on the road. So it's kind of a right, but really a straight on for cyclists but we're forced onto this kind of nonsense (which of course I and every other cyclist completely ignores). Will post a pic later but I'm off out now to dig up some spuds. It's a glamorous life.

Karlt

That might well be true - but you cant drive lorries on all roads, so does that mean you cant call it a road????

Not everyone rides a road bik, theres cross/mtb/tourer/hybrid etc that can still use those grassed muddy sections

True, but for various reasons many people do use road bikes for commuting (it being 15+ miles for example, where a couple of mph makes a difference) and it would be nice to know, at least, which routes are going to be feasible without having to go and look, or use Google earth/Streetview and some guesswork. There are a couple of bits near me across the canal and river which are closed to motor vehicles but open to bikes and whilst not tarmaced, they are jsut passable on a road bike, with care, partly because they're quite short. But they're so useful, avoiding lengthy and busy detours, that it'd be nice if they did have a good surface.

jowwy

True, but for various reasons many people do use road bikes for commuting (it being 15+ miles for example, where a couple of mph makes a difference) and it would be nice to know, at least, which routes are going to be feasible without having to go and look, or use Google earth/Streetview and some guesswork. There are a couple of bits near me across the canal and river which are closed to motor vehicles but open to bikes and whilst not tarmaced, they are jsut passable on a road bike, with care, partly because they're quite short. But they're so useful, avoiding lengthy and busy detours, that it'd be nice if they did have a good surface.
My commute is 15miles.......on the occassion i use the road bike, then i miss out the new grassed cycle route.....but i do also use the mtb for the commute with cross tyres, then i use grassed cycle route.....i guess its horses for courses

Karlt

My commute is 15miles.......on the occassion i use the road bike, then i miss out the new grassed cycle route.....but i do also use the mtb for the commute with cross tyres, then i use grassed cycle route.....i guess its horses for courses

And time and terrain. Best part of a thousand foot of climbing - or more - between here and work; takes 50-60 mins on the road bike depending on route; I can't really spare the time to do it on MTB; when I've had to because of mechanical issues it's taken 75-90 mins.

jowwy

And time and terrain. Best part of a thousand foot of climbing - or more - between here and work; takes 50-60 mins on the road bike depending on route; I can't really spare the time to do it on MTB; when I've had to because of mechanical issues it's taken 75-90 mins.
I get what your saying i really do - as it seems we have the same distance/elevation for the commute

But my original post stands, that just cause its not tarmaced it doesnt mean its not part of the cycle network, just have to suck it up, just like the rest of us, until better more convinient infrastructure is built

Top Bottom