Show us your crap cycling infrastructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

On the one in Cornwall there's no bridge the one you posting was what I was expecting when I came round the corner . Not sure what pedestrians do except get wet feet
There's a pedestrian bridge to the side https://goo.gl/maps/VA1FR

D

Deleted member 23692

I didn't see that as I came round the bend I thought there should be one . I stand corrected
It looks like one of those things you need to knew where it is to be able to find it ).

I learnt long ago that all you can reliably expect on on any NCN route is blue stickers on lamp posts.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Not just the UK, I found this in France. Whilst trying to take the photo a local mademoiselle parked her monster truck on the pavement right beside it so I could only get a close up.
cycle lane.jpg

The cycle lane is marked, in the middle of a tight bend, by a handy piece of shiny, slippery steel. And if you take the corner too tight you're on polished granite.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I generally find the ideas of the need for fast cornering and tyre widths intended for racing to be somewhat at odds with the goals of the designers of even the best examples of European cycling infrastructure as found sur le continent. Maybe people (t)here ride in a different style and with a different mindset to us in the UK. 20km commutes in from the 'burbs are not unheard of in cph. These take place on dedicated infrastructure, a la real "cycling superhighways", built in collaboration with communities who realised that the introduction of "congestion charging" would penalise their residents and so who worked with the cph city council to find other ways to drive (boom! boom!) their locals out of their cars and (back) onto their bikes. Commutes of 10 - 15km each-way are utterly unremarkable. In both instances relatively few cyclists seem to feel the need to lycra-up, and ride an arse-up heads-down "fast" road bike or hybrid on skinny rubber in an arse-up heads-down manner. As beloved of many UK cycle commuters myself (almost**) included.

*some Dutch and Austrian stuff I've ridden is better.

**never go narrower than 28's

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Lovely painted lane that just invites a dooring.
x640&pano=uDretmJQNqPT4pLfX8Blcw&heading=95.26864768332757&fov=90&pitch=-25.4453125&sensor=false.jpg

So narrow they couldn't fit the cycle pictograms on without squashing them up.

640&pano=Wrt1_26RijOoCAavqi7jhg&heading=208.26083518332757&fov=90&pitch=-17.5703125&sensor=false.jpg

Shared use bollocks with usual ceding of priority at side roads.

=0MpRNMhy1cI9VeXdpVsKfA&heading=29.315522683327572&fov=90&pitch=-14.898437499999998&sensor=false.jpg

Rykard

Veteran
I road the new cycle lanes around the holiday inn, in Leicester last week. Garbage, too many junctions, then there is a pedestrian crossing with people waiting right bang in the middle of the path, lack of signage, then it kinda fizzles out into nothing.. Around here the cycle lanes have really bad transitions onto and off the main carriageways and generally don't go anywhere useful. I really do wonder whether the people who design these things are cyclists or just ride bikes..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Chuffin' off carriageway cycle lane just ends and dumps you in a line of parked cars.
Screenshot%202015-07-27%2015.03.42.png

It becomes an on-carriageway cycle further down the hill which does exactly the same thing, except the cars this time are parked front on to the kerb. Streetview doesn't show it as it post-dates when the pictures were taken.
Screenshot%202015-07-27%2015.07.35.png

This next takes the knagel, especially as it is at the top of the bicycle snake (not shown, post- dates the pictures) and is right outside cph's busiest mall. A barrel of laughs as you swoop round the cycle land dodging the potholes, the pedestrians, the other cyclists, and the cars pulling into the cycle lane to collect grandma.

Screenshot%202015-07-27%2015.14.42.png

Good bike garage though...

Which shows even the Danes can't get it right.

TwoPosts

When I first saw this

Google Streetview link

in Basingstoke I couldn't quite work it out as I cycled past on the road, I just though it odd, but after reviewing it on streetview it is clear that on a residential road(not that busy when I have been down it) they expect you to pull off to the left, give way to any traffic and then cycle across the road to join the other cycle path.

I think you would have to be a pretty timid cyclist to do this, or is there some obscure traffic law that says you can't stop in the road to signal right to turn on to a pavement/ shared use cyclepath (assuming there is oncoming traffic) if there is no actual road junction, thinking about it further, how is this manouver any different to turning into a driveway.

Anyway candidate for shortest and most well constructed cycle path?

Peter

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[QUOTE 3817608, member: 9609"]I do sort of expect them to be suitable for riding a road bike on before they can be classed as a cycleway.[/QUOTE]

"........ Therefore we do not recommend a road bike for any of the National Cycle Network."
- this is a quote from a Sustrans reply to a query about state of surface on Chippenham/Calne route.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
When I first saw this

Google Streetview link

in Basingstoke I couldn't quite work it out as I cycled past on the road, I just though it odd, but after reviewing it on streetview it is clear that on a residential road(not that busy when I have been down it) they expect you to pull off to the left, give way to any traffic and then cycle across the road to join the other cycle path.

I think you would have to be a pretty timid cyclist to do this, or is there some obscure traffic law that says you can't stop in the road to signal right to turn on to a pavement/ shared use cyclepath (assuming there is oncoming traffic) if there is no actual road junction, thinking about it further, how is this manouver any different to turning into a driveway.

Anyway candidate for shortest and most well constructed cycle path?

Peter

Looks like some Highways Officer, or whatever title is attached to whoever the roads buck stops at, covering their backside. Stopping or cycling in the middle of the road to turn into a driveway is done by choice. With the undoubtedly expensive cycle lane detour, the Council might argue cyclists have been given the opportunity to be taken out of the traffic stream to enable them to cross the road. Therefore if any accident occurs, nothing to do with our road guv.

Top Bottom