Show us your crap cycling infrastructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycle lane that take you up a motorway slip road and expects you to dismount and cross, cars are getting up to motorway speed and there is a long sweeping corner before this.

4582095355_30d26dfea7_b.jpg

I know it well.
You either dice with death crossing the road at the lane.... or dice with death trying to hold a lane.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I know it well.
You either dice with death crossing the road at the lane.... or dice with death trying to hold a lane.
Yeah I do the latter now, I do it every weekday at 7.30am when I am commuting I know there are ways around it but they are not much better as they are hilly rat runs. Since 1995 the improvements were approved but no funding. http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/m23-hooley-junction-improvement/ I had a run in with a local counsilour about it when I complained about them sticking a cycle path right in the door zone further down near Merstham on a bit of road where a cyclist would be doing 20-30mph

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Is there a right turn to the edge of that picture?

Here's the bit to the right. The road on the right is one way. Taking the lane and and heading straight on up the one way bit (2 way for bike) is best. But the cycle lane planners prefer you to cross 3 lanes of traffic instead. Barking.

image.jpg

[QUOTE 3817608, member: 9609"]I do sort of expect them to be suitable for riding a road bike on before they can be classed as a cycleway.[/QUOTE]
Generally Sustrans don't own the land at all, and often have restrictions placed on them by other stakeholders, such as the National Trust or Wildlife Trust as to the surface that can be used meaning that Sustrans can't put tarmac down.

Here's the bit to the right. The road on the right is one way. Taking the lane and and heading straight on up the one way bit (2 way for bike) is best. But the cycle lane planners prefer you to cross 3 lanes of traffic instead. Barking.

View attachment 97667

There's nothing stopping a cyclist moving to the centre of the road and then turning right to access the cycle lane on the right side of the other road. I simply see the cut-in on the left as a means to enable less confident cyclists to stop off the road and wait for a gap to cross 2 lanes in safety, and then have a place to wait on the other side before accessing the the cycle lane. Nervous riders would get fairly intimidated by traffic streaming down towards them whilst they're waiting to turn right, plus having to face oncoming traffic coming out of the side road.

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's nothing stopping a cyclist moving to the centre of the road and then turning right to access the cycle lane on the right side of the other road. I simply see the cut-in on the left as a means to enable less confident cyclists to stop off the road and wait for a gap to cross 2 lanes in safety, and then have a place to wait on the other side before accessing the the cycle lane. Nervous riders would get fairly intimidated by traffic streaming down towards them whilst they're waiting to turn right, plus having to face oncoming traffic coming out of the side road.
Surely there's no way to ride onto that cycle path? It's a no entry. The only way to legally do it is to dismount, walk across and remount once you reach the shared use bit which is on the pavement.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
This little gem (not!)
Untitled_zpsgymgyyhj.jpg

Cycle lane runs alongside one of the arterial routes out of Manchester/Salford. This part takes you straight across a slip road for the M60 onto a dual carriageway.
The road works in the picture have been a blessing in disguise, as the inside lane of the dual carriageway has been coned off for a while now from this point and offers a safer haven, except for the places the road works force you out into the one remaining lane.

winjim

Smash the cistern

View attachment 97667
I don't think you can cross that give way line from this direction. It's only 2-way after the no entry sign.

Surely there's no way to ride onto that cycle path? It's a no entry. The only way to legally do it is to dismount, walk across and remount once you reach the shared use bit which is on the pavement.
Yes, you're correct, which I guess is why they put in the cycle path with its kink off to the left. So not a crap bit of cycling infrastructure at all!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm lucky where I live as the facilities provided are mostly pretty good. It ain't perfect though and I'd like to put this one (on the left hand side of the road) forward for consideration:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s3A3_mcrgw_8m1PaX6U2aSA!2e0
Abbey Foregate Farcility.png

Leaving Shrewsbury town centre over the English Bridge there is no option but to use the road up until this point just before the junction with old Abbey Foregate where there is a short shared path provided.

Using the road you sweep past this section in a matter of seconds unless held up by the lights. Using the path requires you to turn left into the junction, turn across traffic to access the dropped kerb, negotiate any pedestrians (this is a main walking route into the centre so usually quite crowded unlike in the streetview image), then give way to traffic again when rejoining the road at the next junction.

Not sure how long this arrangement has been in place but I think it's been at least 15 years and personally I have yet to see anyone using it with a bike.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3817608, member: 9609"]I do sort of expect them to be suitable for riding a road bike on before they can be classed as a cycleway.[/QUOTE]
That would certainly be nice. Where I live you can take NCN45 from the town along the Western Flyer to West Swindon. The path for NCN45 turns off just before West Swindon and joins up with the shared path that leads to North Swindon, the Orbital and Asda Walmart. The problem is the 1.5 mile route from West Swindon to North Swindon isn't tarmacked and isn't suitable for tyres thinner than 28mm, especially when it's wet. Last time I tried on 25mm tyres I almost came off 3 times on the gravel. To avoid that path means adding distance and using more dangerous routes either on roads or crossing busy roads that have no proper crossing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
cph has messed with my head. Any piece of infrastructure which doesn't prioritise me over all other roads users or isn't perfectly executed has started to boil my wee. I doubt I'll be able to ride in the UK again.

13 rider

Guru
Sorry about photo quality .shows a ford I came across in Cornwall on Ncn32 near Terice House .its at the bottom of a steep descent around a blind bend . Good jod there's a road sign .
2015-07-20 07.23.37.jpg

No option but go through it .Cobbled slippery surface under the surface .would not want to go through it with higher water levels

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Sorry about photo quality .shows a ford I came across in Cornwall on Ncn32 near Terice House .its at the bottom of a steep descent around a blind bend . Good jod there's a road sign .
View attachment 97788
No option but go through it .Cobbled slippery surface under the surface .would not want to go through it with higher water levels

There's one in Leicester if you want to go through it, luckily if on a bike you can jump onto the bridge

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...4!1s42hvjXBXzUULFDuVV5hq_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Top Bottom