Show us your crap cycling infrastructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
...So narrow they couldn't fit the cycle pictograms on without squashing them up.

640&pano=Wrt1_26RijOoCAavqi7jhg&heading=208.26083518332757&fov=90&pitch=-17.5703125&sensor=false.jpg

Norwich Road in Ipswich (outbound) they tried that but still couldn't fit the bike in (mind you the bus & bike lane in the other direction is brilliant)

Another shot from further up the road includes a drain cover for comparison.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Cycle lanes that don't disappear at build outs would seem to be something we don't often see. Warrington's ''facility of the [last] month'' offers an alternative
tringroad.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
This is just off the roundabout of the A508 Brixworth bypass, at the entrance to Pitsford Reservoir ( one of the main recreational sites in Northants..)

DSC_1746.JPG

It's so short that it's actually nearly square and vanishes down a rubbish filled ditch! :laugh:

DSC_1747.JPG

Moi, posing on the brink of oblivion..

BTW, it doesn't seem to be used much.

MichaelO

Veteran
Yeah I do the latter now, I do it every weekday at 7.30am when I am commuting I know there are ways around it but they are not much better as they are hilly rat runs. Since 1995 the improvements were approved but no funding. http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/m23-hooley-junction-improvement/ I had a run in with a local counsilour about it when I complained about them sticking a cycle path right in the door zone further down near Merstham on a bit of road where a cyclist would be doing 20-30mph
I cover that same stretch of road on the way home in an evening - it's my last few miles to home and it certainly makes you pay attention. Holding the lane against accelerating motorway traffic followed by dodging commuters jumping into/out of their park cars at Merstham. I try to take routes either through Chipstead or Farthing Downs, but towards the end of a week I usually need the flatter A23 route home!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
FFS. Literally worse than nothing.
Cripes, that 2nd one is narrower than a bike - and the line itself is inside of where you should be cycling. That's just moronic

That's better than it was up to a couple of years ago when it was re-surfaced. Before that it suffered from inch wide cracks every 50 yards or so.

Clanghead

Anybody care to speculate on the purpose of these two "cycle" marked lanes on a local business park?

Note the lack of pavements for those on foot.
I once read a brochure extolling the virtues of a nearby housing development. "It's great," said one recent owner, "it's only a one minute drive to work"... :eek:

xDgsEfgL6Q&heading=-46.12813164824037&fov=71.59828353794268&pitch=5.011952607787517&sensor=false.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Pinch point for traffic calming, but takes cyclists away from oncoming cars.
We had one on a road a couple of miles from here. The council built a traffic island on one side othe road, in essence creating a chicane to calm traffic, but there was a cycle lane between the footpath and the newly created island. It meant cyclists on the side of the road with the island didn't have to stop if traffic was coming on the non island side, unless some ignorant tw@t on the island side blocked them off.

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
Pinch point for traffic calming, but takes cyclists away from oncoming cars.
We had one on a road a couple of miles from here. The council built a traffic island on one side othe road, in essence creating a chicane to calm traffic, but there was a cycle lane between the footpath and the newly created island. It meant cyclists on the side of the road with the island didn't have to stop if traffic was coming on the non island side, unless some ignorant tw@t on the island side blocked them off.
I wish they'd get rid of those chicanes. Tonight the car in front of me had to stop because, even though he had priority, cars just came streaming through from the opposite direction.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Looking at some of these examples, it is pretty clear that the guys putting the marks on the road have no idea what they are doing. Does anyone take this up with the Council?

Id post some of my cycle paths but I would get booed out of the forum ^_^

We even get our own cycle path train barriers.

image_zpsa1bfa90f.jpg

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Looking at some of these examples, it is pretty clear that the guys putting the marks on the road have no idea what they are doing. Does anyone take this up with the Council?

Id post some of my cycle paths but I would get booed out of the forum ^_^

We even get our own cycle path train barriers.

image_zpsa1bfa90f.jpg

Boooooooooooo

Top Bottom