Show us your Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not seeing a thread for these bikes already I thought I'd start one.

I have a soft spot for Dawes as what I consider my first proper bike was a junior Kingpin. I'm on my third cycle from them now, not too long ago finally acquiring the Galaxy that I've lusted after since those Kingpin days:

DSC0004412.jpg

Mine is from the late 90s and I'm told was made to measure for the previous owner at extra cost. I've made a fair few changes to turn it into the bike I want and absolutely love how smooth and fast it rides.:wub:

So, what have you got from this great British brand?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sadly I don't have a pic but the bike that got me back into cycling five years ago was a Dawes Discovery 301 hybrid. No longer have it but it was a solid and comfortable bike.

I don't think Dawes get quite the recognition that they deserve.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

I don't think Dawes get quite the recognition that they deserve.
My thoughts too. They tend to look uninspiring when comparing spec sheets to their rivals but make up for it with good frames and mundane components such as bearings which give them a hard-to-beat dependability.:smile:

Edit: Reading this again it doesn't sound right. What I was trying to say was that they get the frames and the mundane components right where other manufacturers might skimp.

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
No pictures (pre digital) but my first proper mountain bike was a 1987 Dawes Wildcat. I got it from Tower Cycles in Newton Abbot. They were unfortunately, more used to selling road bikes as they assured me that, "A tall lad like you needs a 23.5" frame." Of course the smallest available frame size (19) would have been about right.

I owe all the small amount of bike handling skills I have to that bike! You did NOT want to come off the saddle forwards! I did some miles on it though and did my first races on it on Woodbury Common.

It got a bit bent in a spectacular crash on Dartmoor and ended its life as a pub bike. Before being given away it got me to university most days.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My old (and missed) Dawes Vantage that got me into cycle touring.
5563536163.jpg

Unfortunately I cracked the frame riding round the Outer Hebrides, and being aluminium it wasn't fixable. So after that I got my Dawes Horizon as a frame replacement
DSCF1924.JPG

It's a bike that seems to enjoy being loaded up, and has done everything from commuting, to 400km Audaxes, to camping tours of Scotland and Wales.

They may not be the flashiest bikes around, but as touring bikes I've been really happy with both of mine :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My restored Dawes Kingpin which has been written many times on these pages.
IMG_5224.JPG

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My Vantage.
20170511_113802.jpg
Following an abscence from cycling (the ex was forever moaning about me having a ride once in a blue moon) and shortly before the divorce I bought this in Jan 2012 with the intention of quitting smoking and taking it touring.
I quit smoking for good a month after it was delivered but despite 2 attempts, she has never completed a tour.
A year and a half ago I had the opportunity to build a steel framed tourer. Ooooooooh steel! I finally got sick of its crap handling a couple weeks ago and this last week I've rebuilt the Vantage.
One thing about the Dawes that the Raleigh never had was that it screams to be dragged out and ridden. It literally begs to be manhandled.
Why I ever turned my back on it I don't know. Hopefully this year will see my mileage increasing. Not because I give a hoot about mile munching, but because the more miles I rack up = the longer I'll have spent enjoying my bike :smile:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I bought this dirt cheap and covered in crap off the CTC site after baggage handlers had destroyed my Raleigh Royal frame and I needed a replacement for a French Tour. Cleaned up beautifully. Dumped the rubbish cantis. It rides well and very smooth but it does not feel not as fast or fun as the Royal. Maybe the heavy, but very nice quality, original touring wheels.
Local Banana stop.
23811323775_c1253f4613_c.jpg

Somewhere in South of France.
23391423391_1761c038bb_z.jpg

Top Bottom