Show us your Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2006 Dawes Audax. Dawes always had a reputation for good bikes when I first started riding. Subconsciously I must have always wanted one because I was immediately drawn to it when I was looking for a new road bike. It's not the lightest bike by carbon standards but it fits, is comfortable, has all the gears I need and is flexible enough to be used in a variety of guises. I can't see me ever getting rid of it.

IMG_4001.JPG

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's my Dawes Shadow. It's a 1980s bike that I got off ebay for £40. It was in pretty good-ish nick, but I've replaced quite a few bits: the gearing with something suitable for my 21st century legs, and the Weinmann single pivot sidepull brakes, which were gunked up and sticking, and the suicide brake levers one of which was a bit bent. And, of course, the bar tape.

Here it is with spiky winter tyres.

full.jpg

Duffy

Über Member
AudiS8Sale001_zps1102bfb4.jpg

Had this since I was 13 (40 years ago, when I depart this mortal coil it's going with me)
It's like the Jannie's broom, you know new handle 3 times and new head 4 times but the same broom I've always had!
Been painted and re-chromed twice, original saddle, fork and frame, pretty much everything else has worn out and been replaced over the years.

I love it!

:smile:

Last edited:
I'll always have a soft spot for Dawes. Made in Tyseley, not far from my childhood home in Shirley. When I was getting into cycling in the early 80's the Galaxy was the touring and commuting bike to have. When I joined my first club one of my new found club mates worked there and ran a side business out of his home selling their products at knockdown prices. He did me a nice deal on a Dawes Imperial frameset, part of the deal being that he could get it any colour in the factory. I chose a nail varnish pink that they used on their girls' shopper bikes. Rather lovely it was too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is weird one. I picked it up down here, it had been resprayed red, maybe powder coated and had Rory O'Brien stickers applied but Dawes stamped on the top of seat stays. I'm sure it was 531. How it got down here I'll never know.
2014-11-15 16.07.13.jpg
Lovely ride. Most of the stuff on it was shot so spent a fair bit getting it into shape. Managed to get some rather nice fade red to white handlebar tape for it before a local LBS sold his stock to Burkina Faso. Nobody here likes drop bar bikes which is why I bought a nice Colnago frame off the same guy for fifteen quid! Seen outside one of the local bars.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
This is my tourer - a Dawes Sardar, the steel version from about 2003. Not the best picture ever, but it is in full touring mode, ready to go. I've had it for 11 years now and find it a very comfortable ride, and with the low MTB-style gearing that I've put on it, it is good for some quite serious climbs.
20160731 bike for Scotland.jpg

Started out like this, in a bit of a mess when I collected it
IMAG0013a.jpg

Had it stripped and resprayed which I was never that happy with
IMAG0280.jpg

Then had a moment and stripped it again and repainted and converted to this
racing green.jpg

now with full mud guards for winter. I like this a lot.

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0013a.jpg
    IMAG0013a.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 57
  • racing green.jpg
    racing green.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 78

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've posted pictures of ths before, in the "Which bike did you long term covet but when you got it, you didn't like it?" thread. It remains an enigma, but it's nice to look at and it is relevant to the thread! All evidence suggests its a 1980 model.
Galaxy4.JPG

Galaxy5.JPG

I'd never want to update it, but at the same time I'm not comfortable nowadays with the old school brakes, gears, pedals etc. The front changer works in reverse, which feels especially bizarre.

Top Bottom